Thiry Two

Thirty Two

Hazel stood up after minutes of gazing at Van. However magnificent his eyelashes fluttering over his flushed cheeks looked, and however compelling his lips looked,  she couldn't sit staring at him for an hour.

Slowly, she walked along the beach line, taking in the cream sand and light blue waters. Her mind floated in and out of focus, thinking about Van and her father, and her sister and lastly, Flin Frank. He had been, unfortunately, a topic that lingered. Not because she still felt something for, more like it was the fact that he was the monster that haunted her. He was a symbol of self disgust and the sexual immorality of every man she could think of. Well, that is, except Van. The man who got her pregnant. The handsome man who was making her feel like a girl -or human being- again.

Hazel stopped suddenly at the sound of voices. One was peppered with the Jamaican accent while the other was clearly Jersey. Both, however was dusted with urgency.

"I can't... Mr. Steel is here and if he checks-"

"He won't check. He's here with his bitch." the Jersey growled.

"I can't. I won't. I told you that your last visit."

"I don't care what you say. You will do as I say or lose your job. And reputation."

The Jamaican tried to argue, pleading actually, then the next man said,"This isn't over King."

Startled, Hazel spun on her heels, sinking to the ground beside Van. She shook him awake.

"I think I just heard something I shouldn't have."

In less than ten minutes, they got back to their hotel room where Van was slightly fuming.

"The manger's name is King. He's a good man..I'll get to the bottom of this."

Van huffed, turning to her,"What do you want to do for dinner?"

"Um... room service? I'm tired."

Van nodded, a smile gracing his features,"Okay. I'll go order and have them set up on the balcony."

The thought of eating under the moonlight on the balcony sent a flush over Hazel. Admittedly, it  sounded very romantic indeed.

Hours later, she was cuddled in in bed, not needing the blanket but wrapping around herself nonetheless. Her eyes traveled over Van as he smiled down appreciatively down at the book he was reading. Her eyes traced his lips and strong jaw line,then his bare chest. Her eyes lingered on the nipples, which made her stifle a giggle and drift of to dreamland.

×forced×

Van Steel had to agree that he had likely hit the jackpot. His arranged marriage had to be one of the better ones, if there were any. His wife was gorgeous, she was probably the nicest most modest person he had ever known, not to mention she was carrying his child.

He looked down at her, taking in her slightly rounding tommy and now glowing sink. The pregnancy, according to his checks, was one month and three weeks or seven weeks. A week from then, the intruder would be two months along.

Feeling himself smile proudly, Van brushed his lips across Hazel's hairline affectionately. She turned to face him, muttering in her sleep. And again with the utmost pride, he wrapped his hands around her, drifting off to sleep.

Many hours later, Hazel woke feeling suffocated. She sat up instantly as the remnants of her nightmare clutched at her. Hazel struggled to breath, gasping with every breath she took. Many times in the past years, she had struggled with the dream and woke up practically choking. All those times she had to fend for herself. So it surprised her when the lump of flesh beside her sat up, turning on the light and stared at her with concern.

Van grabbed her hands from where they clutched her chest and ran his hands along her arms. He murmured words of encouragement and waited patiently for her gasping and shaking to stop, then pulled Hazel into the cocoon his embrace offered. Her mind told her to fight him off while she could only shiver and enjoy his warmth.

After minutes of silence, Van said softly,"Do you want to talk about it?"

Hazel shook her head, pulling away from him,"N-n-no. I-I'm fine. Thanks."

Without a backward glance, she got out of bed and padded to the en-suite sitting room and began sketching. It was a downright gory scene one would see in medieval paintings. First of all there were persons standing around in a courtyard filled with dead bodies hanging off various things. The sketch horrified her when her pencil stopped moving but she was partly used to it. For it did haunt her every time she closed her eyes.

Feeling bile rise in her mouth, Hazel stood, rushing to the bathroom. By the time she made it to the toilet, Van already had her hair up was rubbing soothing circles into her back. After many dry coughs where it felt like her insides were trying to rip themselves out.

Her body continued to shake as Van pulled her back into his chest. She buried her face into his muscular arm, sobbing softly.

By then, Hazel had become used to vomiting in such ways after a nightmare. Granted they didn't happen often. She was used to curling up in a ball on the cold brick flooring of the bathroom. She was used to listening to herself sob on the floor in her empty apartment, no friends to call, no family to rely on. Simply alone. Somewhat fortunately, the nightmares only started three years before.

"Haze, let's go back to bed or I could make  you something to eat. Comfort food?"

Without hesitation, Hazel nodded,"Thanks."

Van grimaced at her raspy voice, wanting to ask about the obvious nightmare but deciding against it, he stood with most of her body weight on him. With a sense of bravo, he tucked her under his arm and walked slowly back to the sitting room/kitchenette where he deposited her in a sofa and began whipping up a cheesy and vegetable sandwich - something he noticed that she liked.

She took the sandwich, a soft smile on her pale lips, with shaking hands and took a bite which resulted in a moan.

"It's settled then," Van grinned at her curious look,"I make a sandwich for you whenever you are down."

She smiled a bit wider,"Thanks... I appreciate it - alot."

Van nodded, his face going serious,"Hazel you should definitely talk about it. Think of me as blank canvas that needs some painting."

She snorted,a proper laugh. One that lit up her face, and in that moment, Van hoped their baby had her smile.

Then she soured,"Its nothing new, nothing... to worry to much about."

Van kneeled at her feet,  his hands resting on her knees,"Please Haze, babe, just tell me."

A tear she hadn't realized she was harboring slipped out,"I witnessed a crime three years ago. It-it still gets to me."

Nodding Van rocked back on his heels,"I witnessed a robbery gone bad when I was eleven. Three persons, including on of the thieves, died."

"If only it were a robbery gone bad..." Hazel muttered sadly, looking down at her sandwich before taking a large, pitifully bite out of it.

Van chuckled softly at her reaction and stood,"Lets go on a beach side tour tomorrow- today." he joked looking out at the lighting horizon.

"Thanks... for car-being here." a healthy blush settled on her cheeks.

''''''''''''''''''

Cute, aren't they????

﹋o﹋