Forty

"And they say that a hero will save us, I'm not gonna stand here and wait." -Hero, Nickelback

Forty

Van struggled to breath. Jeffrey Davis had his clawed hands wrapped around his neck as he pulled him over to where Hazel was crouched. He pushed Van down onto his knees, just out of reach of Hazel, and whisper-yelled,"See here Vanny boy, see how beautiful she looks, a piece of rare art. But when she's dead, I'll crave her up real nice to look even more gory, even more beautiful."

"Please, I'll do anything. Just let her go."

Large tears swelled in Van's eyes, rolling down his cheeks like fast streams of agony and pain. He had no intention to cover them. His everything was hurt.

"I'm so s-sorry." Hazel hiccupped again, struggling not to slip back into her unconscious state for she was sure she would not awake when next she closed her yearning eyes.

"Shh. It's alright." Van said, wishing he could throw his hands around her.

"Enough. Time to die."

Davies took out a gun, pointing it at his helper and shooting her in the head,"Never help someone kill someone else."

Before Van could clearly process that a woman's blood was all over his face, Davis turned the smoking gun on Hazel. Without thought, Van threw back his head, knocking Davies over and sending the gun to the other side of the room. The man cursed, getting up as fast as he had been knocked down. He launched himself at the gun, just as Van jumped on him. Being easily bigger and heavier than the man, Van had him pinned to the ground; however, Davis put up quite a fight.

Van lost no time in punching him, his angry fists connecting with already broken and jagged facial structures. Davis managed to push him off, getting the chance to claw at and land solid punches to Van. They rolled around, back and forth across the ground, until Davis kicked Van off, making a mad dash for the gun. He grabbed it, turned and aimed for Van's head.

The bang sounded, Van stumbled, but dashed forward either way. He head butt Jeffrey Davis in the middle, grabbed the gun and pulled the trigger. Once, twice and thrice; for good measure.

Davis didn't stir as blood pooled beside him. Except his lingering final laugh made Van shiver. He stumbled again, reaching for the phone Davis had had, and dialing 911,"911, New Jersey dispatch, what's your emergency?"

"I'm Van goth Steel, I've found her. At a-a warehouse near port, hurry she's hurt bad-"

The phone slipped from his fingers, his right hand going numb and vision blurring. Tentatively, and creepily aware of leaving a red trail of himself on the ground as he dragged himself over to Hazel's side, where her eyelids were closing.

"I love yo-you." she whispered thickly.

"I love you Haze, more than life itself."

And his vision blurred, while her eyes closed. A soft smile on her lips.

Good bye, Van, was her final thought before everything went black.

''''''''''''''''''