Twenty Four

Twenty Four

Under normal circumstances, Van goth Steel would never swear. He'd considered it way too vulgar for most of his life, but the abrupt interference in one's daily life does knock a person off his feet.

With as little effort as he could, Van reined in his thoughts and watched carefully as the doctor examined and questioned Hazel.

"Any illnesses to consider? Pregnancy is a delicate state."

Hazel nodded,"Diabetes."

Van's brows furred at the information but didn't interrupt.

"How long now?"

"Four years." was her strained answer.

"Doc, couldn't you get her something for her headache?"

The doctor, a short stump of a man, gave Van a withering look for interrupting yet answered,"I'll prescribe something after the examination."

And so it went on. The doctor asking ridiculous questions while Hazel seemed to slip further into oblivion. It was clearly obvious, by the way she looked, that her body ached yet the man continued his torture. Just as Van was about to explode, he stepped away and began filling out a form.

"You seem to be stressed, and by any inclination, depressed. Neither of which is healthy whether pregnant or not. Mr. Steel," the man pronounced his name as if it were a disease,"Please fill this prescription. Just down the hall."

Hazel watched through heavy lids as Van glared at the doctor, taking the paper then casting a look at her before he left. Her eyes wondered back to the doctor who gave her a grave look.

"Mrs. Steel, abuse is something no one should under go-"

Hazel's eyes flew open,"No. He's not- Van doesn't-"

The man gave her a smile she'd associate with a predator,"Shh, Hazel. Denial is only natural. But I don't want you to waste your life away with that man. Your arm, your palm and now this even in pregnancy. It's unacceptable-"

"I'd advise you take your hands off my wife's knee. And I most certainly won't be coming back to you, Mr. Pembroke." Van's growl took Hazel by surprise but she recovered enough to catch the disheartened look the doctor had given Van.

"Haze, let's go."

Van walked up to her, holding her hand as she got up. Most of her weight was being carried by Van even though he wasn't carrying her, and she felt immediately grateful for his toned body. They stopped at the receptionist while Van made an appointment to see another doctor. The recipientist fawned over Van -a reaction he raised his brows at- while Hazel felt herself roll her eyes at.

By the time they got into his sleek Mercedes Benz SLS AMG black (series), Van was silently fuming.

"I'm not good enough... Suggesting that I beat you... Shitfaced doctor trying to get with my wife..."

Hazel chuckled at him, resting her head against the cool glass. Van glanced at her, taking in a semi-relaxed Hazel. She was a sight, he had to agree, but beautiful nonetheless. At that moment, she reminded him of his late mother.

She had been the rock in his life, even when his father had tried to keep her away. His mother, Roxanne Fuller, was a woman of courage and a ten year survivor of breast cancer. Ironic enough, she died in a car accident. The lady gave Van the strength to be who he was.

The thought refreshed him so he proposed -no pun intended-,"Let's go somewhere. A restaurant? Cafe? Or maybe the aquarium."

Hazel considered saying no - in fact, she almost did- but then the grave truth of the situation hit her. Van goth Steel could throw her out if she were to become too much of an annoyance.

"No. I don't suppose you want to go... You must be tired. How about I get you home, set a hot bathe then let you sleep?"

Hazel's eyes widened. They wondered over to look at a smiling Van and stumbled over her words.

"Home it is then. Maybe I should order some food too. You must be hungry." he chirped again.

The thought that Van could possibly be happy about her being pregnant hadn't settled in her mind, yet - for reasons unknown- she got the feeling that he wouldn't completely discard of his own flesh and blood. Hazel knew that her limited time spent with him wasn't much to go on, considering they fought for most of that time, but the reassurance and safety she realized she felt around him wouldn't shake off. Eyes closed, head leaning on the window, Hazel sent up a silent prayer, daring to ask for happiness.

=============