Forty Three

"Just close your eyes, the sun is going down. You'll be alright, no one can hurt you now. Come morning light, you and I'll be safe, and sound." —Safe and Sound, Taylor Swift.

Forty Three

"Van, you should go home. And change. Get some rest. I'll sit by her side."

Van looked up at China,"No. There is no home. Remember? I can't go back there. Imagine how it will be for Haze when she wakes up."

China blinked rapidly, and tears appear in the corner of her eyes. The whole ordeal of Hazel being kidnapped still disturbed her.

"She's gonna wake up. She can't leave me. She won't leave us."
It had been three days since he woke up. Three long, lonely days that he spent staring at Hazel, or staring down at the hospital lawns where children played. Little kids that made him remember what he lost.

Later that day, when Van had dozed off, hazel eyes opened slowly. They roamed the room in confusion and freight. Muffled sounds escaped her unwilling lips and tears leaked from her eyes.

Van sat up fast, wincing. He took her hand into his, rubbing soothing circles into her skin. Her hands shook uncontrollably, fingers numb and cold.

"Hazel, Haze. Calm down. I'm here." he whispered, holding her frightened gaze.

Van leaned over her, pressing the call button beside her head. Then sat back down, making sure that she could see him. Her fingers clutched at his hand while the other sought to wrap around her naval. He held both her hands, not having the strength to talk about the baby.

He tried for a smile,"You came back to me. I've missed you these past few days."

Hazel whimpered, hiding behind Van when the nurses and doctor came in. He hugged her to him, whispering reassurances in her ear.

"I'm right here, they just need to make sure your alright. I'm here."

He leaned back, watching every thing preceding before him. His grip on her hand didn't falter as the doctors requested her to answer questions by blinking and checked her body for positive responses.

"Welcome back, Mrs. Steel." The doctor stated.

Hazel stared wide eyed at the hospital staff as they left, then turned to look at Van who had been speaking quietly with the doctor in a corner. He looked tired, worn. His once lively deep blue eyes held none of the mirth they should have had. A tear leaked from her left eye, and ran down her chin.

Van wiped away the trail it made, and he smiled,"It's gonna be okay. We'll get through this. I love you, Hazel Steel. I love you so much it hurts. Please don't cry."

"I-I." Hazel stopped trying, then swallowed,"I-"

"Shh. Later. Now, relax. The doctor said he gave you something so you can sleep. We'll talk when you wake up. And if you want, China and Zash and everyone else can come in too."

Her eyes closed, almost peacefully, and she drifted off into oblivion. She wasn't tormented by dreams, just lovely sleep.

×forced×

"Yo-you haven't said anything-" Hazel paused, her voice faltering, "About the-the b-baby."

Van stared wide eyed at her. She looked about ready to break down. He swallowed, looking away, mouth open.

"I... I think I knew before. I... couldn't feel her." her eyes misted over,"I saw her. She was beautiful- I think. I cried too. Even though she couldn't talk, she told me that you were waiting. But I'm scared. I'm soo scared."

Van stood, sitting beside her and enveloped her in his warm arms. She cried, fat tears rolling down her pale face, eyes turning red and body shaking with every sob that rocked her. She cried until her heart monitor spiked and her head felt light.

Van pressed the call bottom, panicking.

A flurry of doctors and nurses later, Hazel was out cold and Van was all but crying as he sat with China and Zash in the waiting room. He held his aching head in his hands, massaging his temples lightly.

"So... she knows.... Wow. I don't know..." Zash started.

"What to say?" Van supplied,"Neither do I. What do I say to the woman who was kidnapped, stabbed, tortured and has lost her unborn child? What? Then there is the fact that I don't even really know her. She doesn't even trust me."

Silence seasoned the air until the door creaked open and the doctor stepped out.

"Mr. Steel." She sat down beside Van, " I'm afraid Mrs. Steel's condition... is getting worse. The pressure on her brain is increasing, causing her brain to swell. We need to put her back in the ICU, but if it doesn't stop, she'll have to have surgery."

''''''''''''''''''''