The New Boy

"Mr Evans, would you like to come to my office please," Mr Rite bellowed over all the noise. I looked over to Mr Rite before nodding and shuffling towards him. Mr Rite directed me inside while the weird girl took the waiting seat outside the door – making sure she could hear our conversation.

"Mr Evans, please take a seat." Mr Rite said indicating a seat in front of his desk. Quietly I sat down. Mr Rite carried on talking when I was comfortable. "So, what made your family move here?" he asked.

"My dad got promoted so we packed up everything and left for his work. My mum got a bit upset leaving the rest of my family, but she got over it. Dad told her we'll go visit whenever we can, that perked her up." I answered smiling.

"Good, good. So do you like the town so far?" Mr Rite asked, trying to find out as much information as he could. He couldn't get into my head that easily.

"Well, we haven't been here long, but it's seem fine," I replied, still smiling.

"And school so far?" Mr Rite asked, serious this time.

"So far, it's been OK. I mean the girls were... were... well let's just say, they want to make a new friend. They were like sheepdogs to be honest. But one girl is too much!" I said honestly. Mr Rite laughed at the last remark before asking about the girl.

"Who's the girl that's just too much? If it's Ava, I don't blame her, she's got a hard life, what with foster care and everything."

"Who's Ava? " I asked faking my confusion. Mr Rite believed my act and thought that I only knew Ava as Ms Smith so didn't bother clarifying.

"Oh, it doesn't matter. Who is this girl?" Mr Rite asked instead.

"Oh, just some girl, I think her name is Tina. At least I think that's what the girl outside called her." Keep playing along, won't be long before we're out of here.

"And the girl outside? What do you think of her?" Mr Rite asked, even though I wished he didn't.

"Erm... She's nice..." I tried but the look that Mr Rite gave him, made me give another answer. "She's different," I said instead. Mr Rite laughed in agreement. Nice save.

"I can't say that's not true, but everything else you said is all lies, well except the part about school and the girls."

I looked at Mr Rite stunned but he just carried on. "Why do you think that girl outside – who is Ava Smith -, is in this school? A school that is run by, not one but two secret spies, and that at least a quarter of the teachers are spies too?"

Damn. And here I was thinking I was playing him.

Not going to lie, I was impressed now. Mr Rite took a deep breath and continued talking, "Why are you really here? And what's your real name?" I smiled at getting to speak.

"So you do know more than I thought. Well, Mr Rite... Sorry, Mr McCullough, that's long, no wonder you made your fake name short. I am Alex Carter, you might know my father, Aiden Carter; you know the man that took Ava away when her parents died. Anyway I'm here to see if she's ready and to keep her safe, while I secretly test her."

It was Mr Rite's turn to be impressed. We talked for a little while longer until Mr Rite/McCullough was pleased with me – it's confusing, I know – and stopped worrying. It wasn't long after that Mr Rite showed me out.

Ava got up to go into his office - trying to keep her confusion and shock hidden - but he just shook his head.

"Don't worry, I won't call your foster parents," Mr Rite said but she wasn't convinced.

"What's the catch?" she asked, arms folded, eyebrows raised.

"What on earth do you mean?" Mr Rite asked trying to be innocent.

"I kicked someone into a corner before holding him by the throat up against the wall and I kneed a 5th year in the balls! I should be expelled never mind a call home! So what's the catch?" she asked again extremely confused and annoyed.

Mr Rite only smiled at her and said the worst thing imaginable - for her. "OK, there's a catch, but it's not a big one. You just need to show Mr Evans around school, help him when he looks like he needs it and when he asks and make sure he doesn't get in fights – I want at least one pupil here that doesn't fight -, OK? Oh and when I say stop him from getting into fights that doesn't mean you've to get involved." And with that he walked back into his office and shut the door, while both Ava and I stood there, her jaw hanging open in horror.

At least he used my fake name.