Ava

I was dragged to small room and flung inside. I lay on the ground until I heard the door slam close and the lock put in place before sitting up and fighting to get a knife out of my boot.

I was in the room for a little while before I heard soft footsteps coming towards me. I abandoned the knife in my boot and waited for them to stop. Slowly I started to feel the bag on my head rise and saw little bits of light from underneath, momently blinding me. The first thing I saw when the bag was fully off was a slightly old and tired male face – that looked oddly familiar. The man smiled, stood up straight and walked away.

"I would unbind you if I could but we're being watched and the only helpful thing I can do for you is taking off that bag – man I hate those things, they're so itchy. You'll have to do the rest," he said setting down two chairs. I smiled and nodded.

"Trust me it won't be a problem," I replied my knife in my hand and carefully slicing through the tape that's binding my hands together. "I'm almost done anyway."

"Good once you're done we can have a nice chat, figure what you done that got you trapped here," he smiled. It wasn't long before my hands were unbound and was up checking for blood and stretching. I quickly glanced around the room, spotting a camera in the corner of the room. I smiled and waved at it before throwing the knife at it. It struck dead centre.

"Nice throw, now that that's over, come sit down and we'll have that nice little chat I was talking about." I nodded and went to sit in the empty seat. "First things first, I'm Aiden Carter, and you are?"

"I'm... Wait! Did you say Aiden Carter as in Alex Carter's dad?"

"Ha, yes, I'm Alex's father, and you are?"

"Sorry, I'm Ava, I guess you're the guy that saved me from the people outside when I was a baby," I smiled. Aiden looked astonished.

"You're Kayla's daughter? What happened? You weren't meant to get involved in any of this; all the spy organisations had you under protection; no one was to go near you, only watch from a distance and intervene when necessary. Who told you? Who put you in danger?" He asked his voice rising and falling with every sentence.

"Your son," I replied looking at the floor, not wanting to see his reaction to the news.

"I should have known he's never known when to leave something alone – that's why he was forced to stop spy training and life a normal life. Then I disappeared. It was meant to be a quick and easy job, couple of hours at least, in and out. No one knew the danger, no one except Alex. He tried to stop me but I wouldn't listen. Now look at me, trapped in part of a basement only getting to see daylight through a crack in the wall."

We sat in silence for a little while before something popped in my head. "Aiden, do you know what or who the denied spies are?" I asked. He looked startled at first but the expression disappeared quicker than it appeared.

"Yes, it's a group of young ex-spies. Spies that didn't get to finish their training for whatever reason join the denied spies to finish their training, if they manage it without any trouble they are allowed back into a spy organisation. Why do you ask?"

"I heard people talking about it one day," I answered briefly.

"And these people are?" I looked at the floor before replying.

"Alex, some of our friends and some boy that goes to my school. It wasn't until after I heard that conversation that I thought twice about our friendship and why they were training me."

"What were they saying? Was it anything bad?" At that moment I wondered why the man was so interested in me? Why Auntie Janice was keeping good care of him, giving him a TV and bed with covers and pillows? Why he smelled clean and was wearing fresh clothes and not old smelly ones probably covered in dirt and blood?

The Assassin - a Denied Spies Novel Book 1जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें