Chapter 4 First Impressions

Amanda's POV
My surroundings began to change as I got closer, and the next few seconds went by in slow motion. The open sky around me faded into modern walls, and below me a glass table came into view. My target's face morphed into a different man sitting in a chair, his red hair changing to blonde. The man that had taken my enemy's place had short blonde hair was just as muscular as the last, as far as I could tell.  I threw my sword to the side as quickly as my arms would move, just in case he was on my side. He didn't seem to be in an offensive position so I just went with my gut. I looked around the room to find six more people, not including the man in front of me.

I recognized only two of them, Thor and Sif, but they didn't seem to be in any immediate danger. Even if they were I don't think I would be of much help, I passed my strength limit 4 days ago, the only thing keeping me going was the hope to help the people of that planet. I looked forward again to find the man's face inches from my own, a look of surprise and confusion planted on his countenance.

I grimaced in pain as my sore body crashed into him, and I just about felt that my limbs would fall off. As we both crashed to the ground I rolled of of him and onto my feet. I stood up tall and forced a look of confidence while pulling out my daggers from their sheaths. In return I got two guns aimed at me, but that was expected.

It took all of my might to say one word without my voice being strained. "Friends?" 

Thor nodded but I could see the worry in his face. "Amanda are you..."

As soon as I saw him nod I relaxed my shoulders, "Good, cause I'm gonna collapse." I say in a weak voice. With that my feet give out from under me and I nestle my injured arm as I fall. The man I tackled a few seconds earlier was quick to catch me when he saw that I was falling. He lifted me up as if I were a feather, and cradled me in his arms as he made his way to the next room.

"I'm, I'm fine." I manage. "I can handle my-myself, just pu-put me d-down." He ignored me and kept walking towards a couch. What a jerk. As he neared the couch he accidentally bumped my hurt leg on the side of the couch, which caused me to suck in a deep breath as I bit back a scream.

"I'm sorry, oh my I'm sorry. That was my bad, I should've been more careful. Are you hurt?" He apologizes as he gingerly sets me on the couch. He begins to examine my leg as the rest of the people from the room file in. "How could you even stand before?" He marveled as he saw how deep the wound was.

"It's nothing." I squeak as I stretch out my arm to stop him. But I quickly retreat it as a shock of pain up my arm reminds me that it is the arm I injured earlier. He sees the movement and touches my arm, when I yelp in pain he turns his attention to it.

When Thor enters the room he rushes to my side and kneels next to the blonde man. "She needs to be patched up real bad," The blonde man says to no one in particular. "The biggest injuries I see are her left arm and right leg, but she has tons of injuries everywhere."

"What happened?" Thor demanded, his concern growing by the minute.

"W-what are you talking about?" I jested with a weak smile on my face.

"Amanda I'm serious," Thor stressed. "You know I can't stand it when you are hurt, please let us help. If anything ever happened to you..."

Oh great. He's doing it again. He's getting overprotective and worrisome and annoying. But that's normal I guess. Odin and Frigga took me in as a child when I was hurt kind of like this. They nursed me back to health and once they found out that my family was dead they adopted me. I grew up with Thor most of my life, he's the closest replacement I've had for a brother... along with Loki.

But, me being me, I had to refuse his help. He can't stand it when I'm hurt and I hate it when people help me, so you see where most of our arguments come from. "Thor, really, I'll t-take care of it, I promise. You know I don't like getting h-help" My eyelids started to droop as I spoke, and it became difficult to stay awake.

The man who I tackled a few minutes earlier held out a hand. "I don't think we've met. Hi, Steve Rogers here, and I can't stand not helping people. So you're getting helped whether you like it or not."

"Hi I'm A-Amanda and I hate you."

"That changes nothing."

Oh joy, we are gonna get along just great. I try to protest, but all that comes out is inaudible sounds and grunts in pain. My eyelids droop again and I can't open them fully anymore. I just have to sleep, then I'll be better. I don't need some strange blonde dude who I don't even know to baby me back to health. I don't even let Thor do that. Who does this guy think he is?

Steve's POV
Her eyes started to close and it became clear that she was tired. What did Thor say her name was again. Avery? No, Amalia? No, uh... Amanda! That was it. Natasha cleared her throat from behind me. "I think she could use some rest."

"She can sleep in the extra room downstairs." Tony suggested. Then he muttered, "While I find a new couch, she got blood all over it." I gave Tony a look. "What? It's imported! That kind of stuff doesn't come cheap."

Amanda moaned in pain. "I think she needs to get to the Medical Wing first." Clint pointed out.

Amanda tried to sit up but Thor put a hand on her shoulder to make her lay back down. "No..." Amanda voice quavered and I could barely hear her. I looked down at her with sad eyes. Seeing how much she means to Thor really made me sympathetic for her.

"She doesn't like hospitals, just let her rest for now." Thor explains. He turned to me, "I'm going to talk to Dr. Cho about her condition, will you put her in the extra room?"

He trusts me with her? He might even care about her more than Jane, and that's saying something. I slide my arms underneath her and pick her up. "Of course."

I walk out of the room, hearing Amanda mumbling protests. Her breaths where sharp and uneven, but I picked out a few words. "...Can walk... Put... Down" She lifted an arm and lightly pushed on my chest, but I had a feeling she physically couldn't push any harder at the moment. If she could I'd probably have a black eye.

I stopped and looked down at her. "Really? You can walk by yourself?" I said in disbelief.

"...D-Down," She plead.

"Fine." I set her down on her feet. She takes a few shaky breaths before trying to take a step forward. I caught her right before she hit the ground and picked her back up. I wait for a string of protests but none come. I smiled when I looked down to see that she fell asleep the instant I picked her up. I can feel her hot breath on my chest as I carry her into the guest room. I carefully set her down on the extra bed. Then I ran to the closet to get the first aid kit to wrap up her leg and arm to stop the bleeding. I look down at her one more time to make sure that she is ok, then I tiptoe out of the room, careful not to wake her.