Chapter 33 A Way Out

Amanda's POV
I kept my nose close to the ground as I sniffed for the scent of Steve or Koda to lead me back to the cave. 'How hard can it be to find a guy who hasn't showered in weeks? I guess the dead animal stench in my mouth makes it kind of hard.' I drop the animals I hunted from my mouth and take a few steps forward in hopes of catching s scent.

My right shoulder, 'or is it my leg now?' Still throbbed from the bullet wound. Luckily the pain was manageable compared to the injuries I have in human form. I actually felt relieved when all of the pain seemingly disappeared.

A familiar smell wafted in my direction. 'There it is, I can smell the stupid from here.' I turned around and grabbed my prize, in other words dinner, and made a run in the direction of the cave. I smiled in my mind at the feel of the wind on my face and the soft snow on my paws. I watched icebergs and snowdrifts fly past my view as I continued to run at my speed, with only a slight limp.

I came to the mouth of the cave and dropped 4 penguins to the ground. Koda looked horrified. "Could you not find a more innocent animal to kill? What's for dinner tomorrow, baby Dolphins?"

I attempted an eye roll and kicked a penguin to him and Steve. Steve seemed grateful that he could finally eat something. "At this point, as long as it's edible, I'm for it."

"You couldn't have killed a Polar bear or something?" Koda whined.

"There's no Polar Bears in Antartica." Steve pointed out. "And even if there were, could you imagine dragging that thing back here?"

Koda eyed the dead penguin skeptically. "Can't you get a disease from raw meat or something? Plus those things were in your mouth."

"My serum enhanced my immune system, and from what I hear your tesseract in you two will do well on fighting any disease too. So we don't have to worry about that. The real question is," Steve said while poking the dead animal. "How do you even eat a penguin?"

I sniffed the penguin in front of me. 'How do you eat it? Do I just swallow it whole? My mouth's big enough. Do penguins have bones? Can I just chew it?' I sunk my teeth into the blubber and ripped a chunk of meat off. 'Tastes like a mix of fish and chicken. A really nasty fish and a diseased chicken with lice.' But it had to do, I was starving. If I ever am going to change back into a human I need to save up some energy. Steve followed my example, and Koda nearly threw up.

"You know what? I'll pass. You guys clearly need it more, I ate pretty good these past few days I'll survive missing one more meal." Koda gagged.

'Only one more meal? They're awfully confident we won't be here for much longer.' I looked to Steve for an explanation, he was too busy devouring the first meal he's had in weeks so Koda explained.

"We had an idea while you were gone to get out of here." Koda's voice was quivering from the cold, and he was careful not to look in Steve's direction as he ate. "We are going to book it back to the base and hijack whatever vehicle is bringing them supplies. The base's supplies normally get here in the middle of the night every few weeks. Luckily I remember the next shipment is tomorrow. We will leave this evening, because I don't think I can survive another night." I looked into his now blue eyes, and saw that same little brother I knew all of those years ago. He was always determined, full of curiosity, and wanted to always prove himself to me.

All I wanted to do was talk to him. To tell him I love him, to tell him I missed him, to tell him I'm sorry for giving up on him. He spent his whole life searching for me while I hopped from planet to planet, Galaxy to Galaxy. Leaving a nearly impossible trail to follow. But if Koda is anything, he's persistent. Nothing will stop him from reaching his goal. Nothing.
*                                    *                              *
Steve's POV
I found myself once again burying my face in Amanda's fur coat for protection from the wind, as we ran back to the place that we barely escaped from a day earlier. As the facility came in sight I thought about the stupidity of my plan. We just escaped from people who were torturing us, and now we are coming back so that don't have to search for us. "Oh hey! We didn't want you to waste your time looking for us so we decide to come back! Sorry about the whole escaping thing earlier, that was just a misunderstanding."