Chapter 39 Back to the Start

Sam's POV
I anxiously tapped my foot on the Quinjet. We had already picked Peter and Bruce up and were heading to Florida as fast as the Quinjet could go. Bruce and Peter were engaged in a small argument, and by the look on Bruce's face it was probably something stupid. Clint was flying the jet, and at this rate we would be in Florida in about two hours.

I looked out the window absently. It was about midday, we had eaten lunch before leaving. The other half of our team would hopefully be back soon, and then we would all be back together. We could finally have time to breathe and find out what's really going on here.

"Sam, will you please tell Peter that penguins are birds." Bruce pleaded.

'So that's what they were talking about.' I looked Peter in the eye. "Penguins are birds."

"No they're not!!" Peter argued angrily. "Birds can fly!"

"Not all birds fly." I counter.

"That's what I'm saying!" Bruce burst out. "But then he says..."

"Then how is a bird different from any other animal?" Peter cut off.

"Birds have wings." I point out.

"Penguins don't have wings, they have flippers." Peter retaliated. "Seals have flippers, does that make them birds?"

"What? No!" I answer quickly. "Birds lay eggs."

"Crocodiles lay eggs, are they birds too?" Peter asked.

"Crocodiles don't fly."

"Neither do penguins."

I took a deep breath and put a hand on my head. "Look, it's common knowledge that penguins are birds. I'm pretty sure everybody in the world knows that except for you."

"Yeah, because you're all dumb." Peter said.

"Then what do you think penguins are?" I ask, frustrated.

"Not birds."

"You know what? I'm done with you." I say, waving him away.

[2 hours later]

After a couple long hours of telling Peter he's an idiot Clint said the three words I've been waiting to hear.

"We found them."

I looked out the window in anticipation, seeing a large grey ship with the star spangled man himself on board.

"Looks like you're up Sam." Bruce stated.

I nodded and fastened my pack to my back. Since the boat didn't exactly have a landing pad I was going to fly down to meet them, then we would go from there. I stood in front of were the hatch would open up and gave Clint the thumbs up. He answered by opening it, and I felt the wind to tug at me, pulling me out. As I fell I watched Steve go through a door into the ship, leaving the top deck seemingly empty.

The wind whistled in my ears as I free fell. With a click of a button I deployed my wings, ending my free fall. I flew down to the ship with grace from all of my past years of practice, and touched down onto the deck. As soon as my feet touched the surface ice climbed up my legs and froze me in place.

"What the..." I frowned.

"Who are you?" A voice commanded.

I turned my head to see a woman sitting on the ground, legs wrapped in bandages. Her green eyes had a commanding fire in them, and she had light brown hair rolling down her shoulders. The longer I waited the more ice crept up my legs.