Chapter 48 Preparations

3rd Person
The man was just like any other. He was an average height with a lean build. The only thing that stuck out about him was his dark red hair. As he passed people on the street he looked no different. He acted no different. But he definitely wasn't like most people. If needed he could take out large groups of armed men with his bare hands. It's what he was trained to do. When he was kicked out of the FBI for being too violent it didn't take long for Hydra to find him.

That's the thing about Hydra. If you want to join you don't find them. They find you. They say talent sticks out in a crowd, but real talent is blending in when you need. Just like the man is doing now.

No one notices as he slips into a small garden with a large hedge surrounding it. No one sees as he causally puts his hand on a small bird bath, which actually was a fingerprint scanner. No one hears a small section in the ground opening up enough for the man to go in. No one suspects that one of Hydra's most important bases is hiding under their noses.

The man, who is called Agent Walker, was on his way to give a status report to Hydra's leader. But he isn't exactly excited about delivering this news. Sometimes Hydra can be... unpredictable. Crazy. But Agent Walker didn't actually believe in Hydra, he was just here for the money. Plus something about violence fuels him. He needs it it live.

Walker approached the door, heavily guarded by teams of men with large weaponry. He flashed his ID. "Hail Hydra."

The men stepped to the side. "Hail Hydra."

Walker stepped through the door just as Hydra's head ended a phone call. "Good evening Walker. SHIELD is beginning to be quite the nuisance, we should have killed them off years ago."

"I agree." That was always the safe answer when talking to him.

"Anyway, I was told you have news for me?" Hydra's head prodded.

Walker swallowed. He decided it would be best just to get it over with. "Do you remember when I told you that Captain America and the girl were lost in Antartica? Also that we lost contact with the boat holding the Winter Soldier?"

"Yes I do. That was nearly a month ago. Are they dead yet? The Captain and... what was her name? Amanda I think it was." The leader responded uninterested.

Walker remained still and unreadable. "No sir. We have confirmed that they have commandeered our cargo ship holding the Soldier and made it back to New York."

"You just found this out now!" Hydra's head slammed his fist on the table.

"Communications with our base in Antartica are sketchy at best. We have just barely received information that they did indeed make it back, even though it is pretty dated information." Walker explained as calmly as possible. On the inside it felt like his stomach was turning inside out. He doesn't need to be reminded why there was a job opening in the first place.

"There goes our leverage and our distraction. I should've never listened to that idiot John! The Avengers could already be plotting to hit a base and screw up our plans." He recomposed himself. He had an image to keep up after all. Cool, collected, and calm. He only ever broke when Walker was around. Luckily he was fond of Walker, so he is much less likely to kill him.

"Speaking of John sir, we found the remains of his escape pod in Africa. He is alive and barely injured, but he had been acting almost deranged. He's blabbing on about random things. We already have a team bringing him back as we speak."

"John survived?" Hydra's leader seemed mildly impressed.

"Yes sir." Walker confirmed.

"Kill him." The leader ordered.