Chapter 56 Hydra Strikes

Steve's POV
Clint had dropped me off at the building about 15 minutes early, giving me time to look around. I was outside of some type of concert. Right now I was standing next to a busy street, occasionally getting bumped by a person walking by. I was wearing a hoodie and a baseball cap in hopes of not drawing too much attention, and so far it was working.

The building I was entering was standing tall and proud above the others, towering over all of the people in the busy town. The real question was what floor it was going to be on? Hydra hadn't really specified a specific floor. I had a sad feeling that the floor wouldn't be hard to find. All I had to really do was listen for the screams.

As 6:00 approached all of my personal troubles became irrelevant. Everything Wanda did to my mind didn't matter anymore. Now that I had something to do other then sulk about my past I felt great. Well, not exactly great.

I ran into the building at six on the dot, head whipping back and forth. Loud music filled my ears, making it hard to hear. According to a nearby sign the first floor was the source of all the loud music. The concert hall. The floors above were an assortment of ballrooms and elegant suites.

'So where will Hydra strike?' The concert hall made the most sense. That's where the most people would be. I suppose any of the ballrooms would work too, but I figured I'd check the concert first. I set my shield outside of the door so I could call it to me later with the magnets Tony gave me. I had a small magnetic sleeve on under my hoodie that the shield would connect to.

On the first floor music bounced around wildly in my skull. It was so loud it felt like my entire body was shaking with every beat. I shoved my way through the crowed and looked around for anything suspicious. It was hard to see, especially with everyone jumping and dancing wildly around me.

When I was about to leave because the scent of sweat and body spray was too much for my nose to handle, I heard shots rang out. The music and dancing stopped abruptly. Everyone around me screamed out in shock at what the saw. I craned my neck to see the stage. All of the band members were slumped over their instruments, with five strangely buff men around them. Behind them were giant glass windows that were tinted multiple colors.

When the men took off their coats I realized why they looked so strange. Each one of them were covered in bombs and wiring. One of them pulled out a small remote.

"Not yet!" A blonde man hissed, conveniently standing right next to a microphone. "Wait until the Captain comes in, then we blow the place with him in it."

I'm so relieved I decided not to go with my regular brightly colored suit. Now I had a chance. They were just going to blow the place as soon as I walked in, giving me no shot at stopping them. It's not like I expected a fair fight anyway. I'm just lucky the playing field evened out a little.

I slowly pushed my way forward, not trying to draw to much attention to myself. I got one shot at this. One wrong move and this whole building goes boom.

When I made it to the front the men were pacing angrily, looking to the door then to each other. I was close enough now I could hear their conversations without the microphone.

"Looks like he's a no show." One man stated.

I pressed the small button that would magnetically bring my shield to me and jumped. Everything happened in slow motion. Mid-flight my shield caught up with me and attached to my arm with a small click. A man pulled out the small remote I saw earlier just as I was landing. I threw my shield at his hand, knocking the remote next to the giant windows.