Chapter 49 The Attack

Tony's POV
Hydra sucks. I'm just going to go out and say it. You know what else sucks? When you know exactly what Hydra plans to do but can't do anything about it because you don't know when. At least some of the world leaders took our advice and emptied out their government buildings and highly populated areas. Some, not a lot.

I'm pretty sure Steve made the situation as casual as possible, but maybe too casual. Not many people saw it as a threat, which they're going to regret if we can't stop Hydra before they strike. Who am I kidding? Of course we'll stop Hydra. It's the way of the world. Heroes win, villains don't.

But then why do I feel like the odds are stacked against us? Why do I feel like the world is crumbling around us?

We were in the final stages of packing up, Steve was going over the plan with Bucky by his side. I could tell he was trying to keep him out of the cage I built for as long as possible. The guy loved that man more than fresh apple pie. 'Great, now I want pie.'

"Does everybody know the plan?" Steve questioned.

"Huh?" I ask. "Sorry I wasn't paying attention. Did you say something important?"

Everyone glared at me angrily. "All in favor of throwing Tony out the window say I." Koda suggested. The weird thing was I could've sworn he was being serious.

"That won't work buddy." I say, patting him on the chest. "I can fly, remember?"

Koda smiled tightly. "I didn't say the fall was going to kill you."

"Amanda, your brother's threatening me." I complain.

Natasha completely ignored me. 'Rude.' "We need to get going now. Hydra could attack any day moment."

Steve turned to Bucky one last time. "Are you sure you don't want to come?" He asked hopefully.

Bucky put a hand on Steve shoulder. "You know I'm a danger to the team. Especially by a Hydra base where they can turn me against you."

"But I don't like the idea of locking you up like a wild animal."

"Cages aren't so bad after a while." Bucky said, trying to cheer him up and failing epically. "They're kind of home to me now."

How could this guy be a deadly heartless assassin? Oh yeah, Hydra. Again proving my point that Hydra sucks.

Steve shook his head. "Fine, but don't do anything stupid while I'm gone."

"How can I? You're taking all the stupid with you." Bucky replied with a smile.

"That's cute." I interrupt. "But it's cage time now."

Amanda glared at me. "You're so considerate."

"I know, sometimes I wonder if I'm too kind for my own good." I admit jokingly.

"Do you want me to take him down?" Sam offered. He was trying to make this less tough on Steve. It's bad enough we were holding him captive but making Steve lock Bucky up would be cruel.

"Sure." Steve muttered.

The next ten seconds changed everything. A barely noticeable streak of grey was visible in the room. Next thing we know the room is jam packed with explosives. I read the label on the side.

Stark Industries

My heart blew into a million pieces. 'How was that possible? I stopped weapons manufacturing. Whoever did this held on to one of my weapons for a long time.'

A few more seconds passed. Soon a message was visible on the wall, carved in with a knife and written in Sokovian. Natasha read it aloud.

"Die Tony Stark."