Chapter 29 One Last Speech

Amanda's POV
I woke up to the sound of John's crazed voice. "Wake up! We have to get started right away, I have so much to ruin in so little time. I'm really going to miss these talks." I groan and sit up, again welcomed by that same rush of pain in my legs.

"So little time?" Steve questioned, sitting up.

"As it turns out you two will be taking a trip to the science department tomorrow, they have been waiting to get their paws on you for quite some time now, and their patience has just run out."

'I've got to make my move today. But I don't have all of the pieces yet, there is still something missing.'

John clapped his hands together. "Not another minute to waste. Who should I start with today?" He asked himself out loud, tapping his chin with his index finger. Then he stopped and pointed at me. "You." He said with a grin. "I've got something big for you today, I was waiting till the last minute and I can't wait to see your reaction."

'Oh great." I thought as I began to mentally prepare myself for what he was about to say.

"Let's talk about that day." He offered with a mischievous grin.

"What day?" I asked.

"That day." He hinted.

There was silence. Then I spoke up. "You're going to have to be more specific."

"The day you were left alone for the first time all those years ago. The day you lost everything you had." John clarified with a wild look in his eyes, feasting off of my reaction.

"Oh, that day. Let's not talk about that day." I suggest, starting to understand what he's getting at.'The day my planet was destroyed.' "You know what? Never mind. I've accepted what happened then. There is nothing I could've done. And there is no way your informers, whoever they are, could have figured out about that day. Everyone who was there died except for me. So go on, try to show off your great knowledge of my past as you have done before." I challenged.

John grinned at my answer. "As you wish."

"Don't encourage him!" Steve whispered weakly. "You don't know what he could have up his sleeve."

"Trust me Cap, he can't get to me through this memory." I declare stubbornly. "He can't possibly know about this."

"We'll see about that." John snapped. "I'm going to go through that night, play by play, and you'll see I know more than you think. Even more than you know yourself. Please save your questions and comments till the end."

"Waiting on you." I dared.

He started as if he was telling a children's story. "All was well on Tetri, as a young seven year old girl played with her little brother by the spring, laughing as the young boy marveled once again at the figures she made out of the water."

"How did you know that?" I demanded. "There is no possible way..."

"I said to save your comments till the end!" John hissed. He recomposed himself. "Now where was I? Ah yes, all was well. But then something strange happened to capture the siblings' attention. The sky darkened. They looked up to see a huge aircraft looming over their perfect little planet. Desperate to know what was going on, the young boy flew him and his sister to their home to inquire of their parents, who were the leaders of the majority of the planet at the time. They made it to their home just as the doors were shut in their face for negotiations with the visitor, who had just threatened to destroy the planet."

My mind was racing. 'How could he know this. I'm the only one who survived that event, and I've never told anyone the full story. There must be an explanation. There has to be.'