Chapter 55 Hawkeye's Mission

Clint's POV
The day has come. Today was our best shot at taking down Hydra. But the odds are stacked against us because we're playing Hydra's game. So technically today's also our least likely chance of taking down Hydra. Kinda weird how that works.

Right now I'm flying a Quinjet with Steve as my only passenger because our locations are in the same country. I'm going to fly to Steve's location and drop him off then zip over to mine. If all goes well then I'll pick him up when I get done and we'll head back.

That's if all goes well. The odds of it going that well are slim to none. Especially because I was still battered and bruised from my encounter with the Hulk.

I look back at Steve, who hasn't spoken much since our encounter with the Maximoffs. To be fair pretty much everyone hasn't spoken much since then. "You ok back there?" I called, trying to make small talk.

"Yeah, just thinking." He mumbled.

That was our only conversation the entire trip. He said three words. I really wish the Quinjet had a radio.

When I made it to my destination it was about 5:50. I admit I probably cut that one a little close but hey, at least I'm not late. I looked up at the soon to be attacked building.

It was a brand new art museum, and by brand new I mean it opened today. Right now they were holding a gala in honor of the main contributor to the building. So in other words it's a building full of rich snobs obsessed with overpriced art. Fun.

I decided to do a quick walk around the building to see if there were any other windows or exits. I had made it halfway around until someone noticed me. I can't say I'm surprised, I am carrying around a large bow and a quiver.

"Hey look! It's... that guy!" A blonde man in his early twenties exclaimed to his friend.

"What guy?" His friend asked.

"The bow and arrow dude from New York." The blonde man explained, pointing to me eagerly.

"The bow and arrow dude?" I ask, slightly offended. "I think you've got the wrong guy."

"Nope, it's you alright." His friend realized. " 'Cause there's the Hulk, Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, Black Widow, and... uh, you."

"You literally remembered everyone else's name." I said, then I looked down at my watch. It was 5:58, I had to get going. "You know what? Never mind. You punks got someplace to be or you gonna keep bothering me?"

The blonde man was hardly phased by my rudeness. "Will you take a selfie with us?"

"No." I respond flatly, eying the time.

Despite me saying no he and his friend jumped to my sides and took a picture of us. "Sweet! This is gonna be my new profile pic!"

5:59. I really had to move. "Ok you got your picture, time to leave." I urge, staring through the nearest window into the gala.

"But-" I shoved my way through them before the man could finish.

I ran up to the window I was eying earlier. It was open, just as I hoped. I glanced back down at my watch. 6:00. I looked back though the window again. Everything seemed to be fine. There was a band playing elegant music up front. People were wearing fancy outfits drinking champagne while discussing art.

Maybe there was no attack here. Maybe Hydra just sent us on a wild goose chase while they had the real attacks elsewhere. Just as I was doubting whether or not something would happen people started screaming from inside.