Chapter 14

Lauren's POV

I wake up from all my tossing and turning. I am uncomfortable. I don't like it here. I don't know whether my body is hot or cold because right now I am sweating and feeling waves of heat wash over me but I am also shivering and really cold. Eventually I get tired off tearing the sheets on and off me. I grab my sweater and beanie off the nightstand and then grab the blanket off the hospital bed. A quick glance over to the clock on the wall tells me it's 3 A.M. so by now there should be very few nurses and the hallways should be almost completely empty.

I make my way out into the hallway and walk to the staircase. I climb up all the stairs (with a lot of trouble) until I reach the door to the roof. Stepping out onto the gray, concrete roof of the hospital I set up the blanket on the ground and lay down on it, looking up at the beautiful night sky. Everything is so quiet. I barely hear any cars on the road and if I look out into the city almost every window is dark. There are only a about two handfuls of lights still on. The stars were twinkling brightly. I smiled to myself remembering a memory from my childhood.

~

"Evangeline! Wait for me you meanie!" My little ten year old self yelled towards my energetic friend running really fast ahead of me. It was summer and Evangeline and I were at camp. We had begged our parents to send us here when we saw the brochure at the community center. Our parents had been hesitant because the camp was in Pennsylvania but eventually gave in when we gave them a billion reasons as to how safe it is and the fun activities they do. Evie and I are in the same group (thank goodness) so we were in the same cabin. It was late at night and Evie woke me up with the idea to sneak out and go over the the creek that was just a little deeper in the woods. I thought she was absolutely crazy and refused because I was scared and was thinking about the horror movies were there are possessed things or serial killers or something scary in there. Evie had just shrugged when I didn't take up her offer and she ran out of the cabin. I didn't want her to be alone or get killed. I didn't like the thought of waking up and her being missing so I put on my shoes and ran after her. She has always been a fast runner so that didn't really help my case. I kept calling after her but she wouldn't stop. I was running out of breath and needed to stop but I kept going because if I stopped that meant that she would disappear and I would be stranded in the dark woods all alone. 

I was starting to get lost and I was having trouble spotting Evie's dark long hair or her white t-shirt and gray sweats in the darkness. I just kept running. I was just following what I was making out to be the sound of footsteps and running water. I was absolutely terrified but kept running.

As I was running I felt the dirt beneath my feet get harder to run in and then a cold feeling rush inside my shoes. When I looked down I saw that I was next to the creek in the part where the water meets the mud. The crescent moon was the only light helping me see. A few meters ahead of me stood a dark, short figure. My heart rate sped up when I realized they were standing in the mud and facing away from me without making any sound. I didn't know whether this was my best friend or a murderer. So I just did the stupid thing and asked the figure, "Evangeline?" because either way if I ran the figure would hear me and chase me, then catch me and kill me. So if I were to die it would not be from running for my life and failing. The figure turned around and looked over to me with wide, brown eyes...Evangeline. She giggles when she sees the me getting flustered because I was transitioning from horrified to relaxed. It was hard because I honestly thought I was going to die. "What is it Lo? Did you see a murderer?" She asked in between fits of laughter because my face had gotten red from embarrassment. I just shook my head and looked down, angry at myself and sort of mad at Evie for laughing at me. "Stop laughing at me. It's not funny." I muttered angrily. Her laughter died down a moment later. She looked at me with guilt in her eyes. "Hey, Lauren, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have laughed at you. I know how scary the woods are and I am sorry for running ahead of you to scare you. I shouldn't have done that. Will you please forgive me?" As much as I wanted to stay mad at her I just nodded because she is my best friend and I don't wanna be mad at her when she is the only person I have right now since we are at camp.