Chapter 28

*(The little girl in the photo is Lila)

Lauren's POV

Everything happened so fast. 

We had arrived and asked to speak to the head of the police department. We waiting in the waiting room with Lila still asleep under the blanket. The head chief listened to us and the shock on his face was clear when he realized who we were. "Holy crap." Was all he said as he picked up the phone and began to call (what I heard him say was) the FBI. He had another officer go out to get us food and then we were out in an interview room for an hour before the FBI arrived and we were questioned and asked what happened. We told our stories time and time again. They contacted people as well and before I knew it, by morning word got out that my family and the girls were on their way and Dani's social worker was too. The social worker was also taking on Lila's case. 

Dani had fallen asleep at around 3 A.M. after the head of the FBI had left the room. I now have Dani sleeping on my shoulder and Lila in my arms. I had taken her out of the carrier so she wasn't uncomfortable and I wrapped her up in the blanket like nurses do with newborn babies and now have her in my arms.

I don't know what will happen but I pray to God that nothing bad comes towards these girls.

~

The social worker gets here first since she was only a couple hours away from here. Its' already 9 A.M. and I haven't slept all night. I refused to eat so I'm even more tired. All the food they got for me I saved to give to Lila just in case she woke up in the middle of the night. I wake up the girls when the social worker comes in. They can barely keep their eyes open but are paying attention. Dani already knows who the woman is so she knows well to pay attention.

"Okay, so first off, I'm Tara Moore. I am Danielle's social worker." She says shaking my hand. I nod my head, "I'm Lauren and this here is Lila." I say looking down at Lila who is shying away and frightened. This is the first person she has seen outside of the house. She's in a completely different environment. So yeah, she's pretty terrified.

"Sorry, it's her first time seeing a person outside of that house and being out of that house. She's lived there her whole life and never been on the outside. You're aware of what happened, right?" I ask.

"Yes, I have been given the full report. I'm here to discuss what will be happening for the next couple weeks." She says, getting down to business.

"Go ahead." I tell her.

"We need to register Lila into the system and get her her paperwork and information inputted into the system since she has been a secret and was not born in a hospital. She needs her social security number, a birth certificate, and all that fun stuff. Health evaluations will be made on all of you and you will be coming down to the stations for meetings with me and the head of the FBI often. But what is important to discuss right now is living arrangements. You are all, clearly, very close, but when this is all over in a couple weeks, Lila and Dani will be placed in foster care." She says with her hands folded in front of her and her eyes looking directly into mine. 

"Will they be separated in foster care?" I ask anxiously.

"Yes, Dani will be returned to her own foster home that takes in teens and Lila will probably go to a house with smaller children. They can end up in totally different states." She says.

"How will we live for the next couple weeks then? You said that they will be taken away AFTER all of this. What will happen during all of this?" My voice comes out shaky. The tears in my eyes are beginning to build up as the discussion about being separated goes on. 

"You will be placed in an apartment that is protected by law enforcement and the girls will live with you in order to have you be with someone familiar and spend time with one another before you get separated. It is being arranged right now and you will be taken there in a couple hours."