Chapter 40

Two weeks later

Lauren's POV

"Mommy, are we going to the studio again?" I hear Lila ask me as I'm driving. She's started to call me mommy now and it's kinda weird but I'm not complaining. It feels nice.

I look in the rear view mirror to see Lila looking up at me from her booster seat. "Yeah baby. It'll be fun. Today is just a short meeting and afterwards we'll go for ice cream." 

I've gotten myself a car so that I can be a proper parent to these girls and not have to ask Ally or Camila for theirs. Now that I have mine I drive to the studio with just Lila and myself and I can take Dani to and from school when I need to and not when it's most convenient for the others. I've also decided that it's best if I just take Lila with me to work. I don't want her in a daycare or with nannies, I just want her with me, her mom. It's just until she starts Pre-K next year and then I'll be driving her and Dani to school in the mornings and picking them up in the afternoons. 

Right now we're on our way to the studio, Dinah is in the back with Lila keeping her entertained with a coloring book. All the other girls are in Ally's car because they are going to pick up food while we wait for them at the studio. We dropped off Dani a couple minutes ago so it's still rather early. She's joined Student Council, scholar bowl , and the world affairs club. It's all thanks to her new friend Alex. Since they're both gifted, Alex got her to join all these clubs to use their intelligence and get involved. Sure, Dani gets home later than usual, but she's happy and that's what matters.

I pull up to the studio and park my car. Dinah unbuckles Lila's booster seat in the back and carries her out of the car and into the studio. We sit on the couch and talk to the producers while we wait for the girls to come so that our meeting can begin.

~

I get up off of my bed and put on my shoes. Lila and I had been watching a movie. The little one hasn't taken a nap today at all so she's already fallen asleep. It's 6:00 in the afternoon, meaning that it's time to go pick up Dani. So I tell the girls to keep an eye of Lila while I'm gone, Dinah, of course, jumps at the opportunity and runs into my room to lay down next to her. 

I get into my car and drive off to Dani's school. On my drive there all I can think about is how quiet Dani has been these past few weeks. She's been acting strange. But I don't want to overthink any of it either because it's probably her way of adjusting to a new lifestyle and having so much to do. She's even asked me if she can take karate or self defense or if I could enroll her in a free-running academy. She gave me those three options that she wanted and I've just been wondering why she is suddenly interested in doing all these things. I don't think it's a great idea to put her in yet another activity but she really wants it. I mean, it wouldn't hurt to enroll her so that she can go on weekends but I just really want to spend time with her. 

I arrive at the school and pull up to the curb where Dani and Alex are sitting, waiting for me. Today's Friday which means Alex is staying over. Dani and Alex take turns sleeping over at one another's houses. This week it's Alex's turn to stay over at our house. 

"Hey Lauren." Alex greats me, getting in the car after Dani. 

"Hi Alex. How're you doing?" I ask her.

"Great! We won our tournament today and, boy, you should've seen Dani! She busted out her math AND history skills since Kevin wasn't here today. She usually does the history portion of the tournaments but when they told her that she would have to do the math portion...damn. It was awesome!" Alex bounces up and down in excitement.

"Oh. Dani never told me you guys had a tournament today." I say, hurt. I turn around to look at Dani but she's just staring out the window, lost in thought. I look over at Alex but she just shrugs. So I just turn around and begin to make my way home. The whole ride there is full of conversation between Alex and I.