Chapter 36

Lauren's POV

"I want to adopt Danielle and Lila."

I had been thinking about this for weeks on end now. I finally decided that I do want to adopt these girls. I had to knock some sense into myself. The reason I let them be taken away is because I thought I'd be a bad influence on these girls with all my issues and everything I had been going through at the time. I thought that they didn't deserve someone who couldn't even take care of herself or maintain stable health without constantly having to be in hospitals. At that time I had told myself that maybe they'd be adopted and have a family, where they can be happy. But now I see that most kids don't make it out of foster care. Couples are looking for babies. They don't want a teenager that was raised in the system. Lila has more of a chance of being adopted but I doubt it because people don't like children that had a bad past, and Lila has that. She was raised in a home that's not a home but a disgusting business.

I could be the one that they can be happy with. We already have a special relationship. I can care for myself now and can offer them so much. I want to adopt them.

"Are you sure about this Lo?" Camila asks me.

"I'm positive. I want to adopt them. I've thought about this so much and it is what I want." I tell her, looking down at the puppy on my lap and petting her ear softly.

"Alright, we can make the call today. But first, let's go get something to eat, are you hungry?" She asks me, taking a turn at an intersection.

"Yeah, thank you." The sincerity can be heard in my voice. She nods her head and keeps driving.

About 20 minutes later we arrive outside an adorable little restaurant. Camila helps me out of the car, I carry the puppy in my arms, it's awake right now but since it is so young, it just lays there watching me. We get a table by the window. The menu has a variety of different foods. But I just decide on a chicken salad and water. Camila orders a burger and sprite with some french fries. 

"Hey Lo, look what I have." Camila whispers to me. I look up to see her holding a huge bag of candy in her hand. She puts a finger over her lips, telling me to keep it secret, and then puts it back in her purse. I just shake my head at her, chuckling at her candy obsession. Looks like nothing has changed about her. She eats a lot for someone her size, which is astounding to me because she literally is a human vacuum. 

We talk a little about some new projects that our management is planning for us before the food arrives. I start to eat the way I'm used to, while Camila just stuffs her face, not taking time to breathe between bites. I laugh at her because she looks like a chipmunk with food on both sides of her mouth. She just smiles happily at me, fitting as much food as she can into her mouth.

"Camz, calm down. The food will still be there if you slow down." I say to her. She just nods and chews her food, slowing down on the amount she puts into her mouth.

Camila finishes before me, of course, although she ordered WAY more food than I did. I finish a couple minutes after her, Camila had just been playing with the puppy who had been in the puppy bag that Camila brought in here with us before I had to put it inside the bag so that I can wash my hands and eat.

We pay and head out, back to the car. Camila is holding my hand as we walk back to the car, in her other hand is the puppy carrier bag. She swings our arms with every step she takes. "I'm proud of you, you know." She says to me, opening the car door. 

"I know." I smile, getting in the car. She hands me the carrier and closes my door, going around to get in on the drivers side. We get back onto the road in a comfortable silence.