Don't Say A Word: 13

Jonathan held Madison close as she murmured incoherently. He was hushing her after a nightmare. It seems the trauma from the happenings at Arkham, had triggered suppressed memories, bad memories.

She had woke up screaming for the past three nights. Jonathan always coming to her rescue. Though trying to keep Scarecrow down at the same time. Scarecrow whom begged for her fears.

Madison finally calmed down. "T-Thank you"

"It's fine... everything's fine" he said patting her back.

"I don't feel like it is" she said her dull hazel eyes looked at him.

"But everything is alright. As long as I am here no one else will hurt you." he promised. A faint smile spread across her lips.

He kissed her gently "I love you" she said. "I love you too" he smiled. She stood up and started walking towards the door. "I'm hungry. I'm going to go eat"

"At 2 in the morning?" Jonathan said amused.

"Yep."

~~~

Madison sat on the couch watching the news. Jonathan was in his lab and she had nothing to do. She looked around then back to the tv. She got up and walked over to Jonathan's lab. He was messing with some of his chemicals.

She walked over to him. "Hello Madison, something wrong?" He asked walking to another table. "Yes. The news is boring."

"It tends to be" he said. She picked up a vile of yellow liquid. "Is this fear toxin?"

He looked over at her. "Um yes a new stronger one. I would prefer you no-" as she was setting it back down it slipped and shattered. The room filled with the gases. Madison only a moment later began to see visions, terrible visions. She screamed and fell down curling into a ball like she was trying to hide.

Jonathan couldn't do anything. Scarecrow was already out and he went after Madison. "What's wrong. Are you afraid?" He hissed. Madison tried to squirm away from him but he grabbed her by the wrist. "Tell me, what you are afraid of" she screeched and started to struggle hitting him once.

Jonathan snapped back. "M-Madison!" The gas cleared away but she was still curled up terrified. "Oh Madison I-I'm sorry" he tried to get close to her. But she flinched and backed away. "Madison..."

~~~

"So what happened?" Edward asked. Jonathan ran his fingers through his hair. "I was in my lab and, she walked in and accidently dropped a vile of fear toxin. And Scarecrow went after her, and she's now terrified of me"

"You seem to have that affect on a lot of people."

Jonathan narrowed his eyes at him. "Anyways, aren't you the psychologist." Edward shrugged. "But I told you she's to scared to even look at me."

"Well, why don't you ask Harley I can't help here" he said. "That's a good idea" he said and went searching for a phone.

~~~

"Where is she?" Harley asked. "In my lab, still" Jonathan said.

She quickly went to Madison, who was in the exact same spot. But now light bruising was around her wrist where Jonathan had grabbed her. Her face buried into her knees.

"Maddie?" She crouched next to her huddled form. "H-H-Harley?" She slowly lifted her head.

"Maddie, what happened? Can you tell me what happened?"

"I-I came d-down here to talk to J-Jonathan b-but then I dropped a vile of f-fear toxin. Everything j-just came out. Then J-Jonathan he... he came after me! He grabbed my wrist. And he- he hurt me H-Harley!" She cried giving Harley a hug.

"But Maddie, he didn't mean to do it, you know what he's like when it comes to fear. You've met Scarecrow..." she tried to soothe and explain, thoughts rushed through Madison's head.

"Come on, Jonathan's worried sick about you."

"No w-what if he h-hurts me again."

"He won't Maddie he won't"

She goit Madison to standup and walk out of the lab. Jonathan was standing looking worried. Timidly with Harley Madison walked closer to him. "Madison..." he said, not sure how'd she would react.

No reply. "I'm sorry Madison, I didn't meant to. Please forgive me." He begged. Madison blinked remaining quiet for a moment. "Y-you won't do it again... W-will you...?"

He shook his head. "No I won't" a very weak smile tugged at her lips. He stepped closer. She didn't shrink away as he hugged her. Harley smiled. "All better!"

~~~~~~

This happening with the fear toxin will play a big role later in the book. And Madison is a very fearful person now. Have any questions ask please. Wait... why would you ask questions? Umm I don't know. But please comment. I will make sure the next chapter is longer.