Story 9: Secrets

Justin looked at himself in the mirror of the Liberty Diner bathroom. A black and blue bruise covered his left eye. It looked worse than it felt and it wasn't the first time he had been bruised. He had been dating Ethan for a month and he was regretting every second of his decision to leave Brian for Ethan. About two weeks into their official relationship, Ethan had hit Justin after an argument. Justin had wanted to leave then, but Ethan had threatened to kill him if he walked out of the door. He had grabbed the large knife in the kitchen. So Justin stayed put. The only person he had told was Debbie and he had made her promise not to tell anyone what was going on, especially Brian.

He walked out of the bathroom. When he walked out the door, he spotted Brian, Michael, Lindsay, Melanie and Gus at their usual table. He sighed and walked over to them.

It'd been just a normal day for Brian, really. There had been no need for him to go into the office, so he opted to spend time with his son, instead. Of course, Lindsay and all her infinite wisdom had suggested that they all go and meet up for lunch at the diner. He'd rolled his eyes at the idea, of course, but one look from the blonde and he was in agreement.

So, now, here he was, sitting in a booth next to Michael, watching as his best friend made faces at his son, with the Munchers sitting across from him, judging his every move and word. Fantastic.

Brian tried to enjoy himself as much as he could, even going as far as taking Gus out of his high chair and holding the tot in his lap. It was only when he saw a flash of blond hair that he looked up.

"Jesus!" he said, perhaps a little too loud as his son started to fuss in his lap as Brian eyed the bruise on Justin's face. "What the hell happened to you?"

Justin looked at Brian. He could only really see out of his right eye. His left one was almost swollen shut and made his vision blurry. He refilled Brian and Melani's coffee cups.

"I ran into the wall at home," Justin lied, "It was dark and I couldn't see."

Justin left the table before he could be asked anymore questions. He went behind the counter and put the coffee holder down. He looked over at Debbie who had been looking at him.

"You should say something, Sunshine," she advised, "Someone can help and you know it."

"No one can help, Deb," Justin whispered, "I'll be fine. You promised you wouldn't say anything."

Debbie sighed and turned to get some plates fresh out of the kitchen.

Brian wasn't buying it. There was no way that Justin would be stupid enough to run into a goddamn wall, let alone it leave a mark like that on his eye. He knew somewhere deep in his gut that this was something bigger than that, that Justin was trying to hide what really happened.

Standing abruptly, Brian passed Gus over to Lindsay, ignoring the sound of Melanie's voice calling him an asshole for ditching his son. He was over at the counter in just a couple steps, worry etched into his face. As he stepped up to the counter, he could just make out the conversation between Justin and Debbie, only choosing to speak up when she walked away.

"Hey," he said, getting Justin's attention. "What the fuck happened? And spare me the bullshit about you running into a wall..."

Justin didn't look at Brian as he spoke. He was afraid, if he did, the truth would be written all over his face. "It's nothing. I told you, I ran into a wall. It was an accident. Just leave it." Justin turned around pretending to do busy work.

Brian could vaguely make out the sounds of his friends calling him back to the booth, but he ignored them. Right now, his attention was fixed on Justin, and whateverthefuck happened to him. "Bullshit," he said quickly, fixing the young blond with a look that clearly said he meant business. "I'm not buying it, so why don't you just tell me what really happened to you?"