Story 27: Car Accident

Brian's head was pounding. The last thing he remembered was a quick flash of light, a crunch of metal. He could only just make out the sound of a voice, and strained to turn his head to listen to it. His eyes opened slowly, catching a glimpse of the owner of the voice. "...Sunshine?" he asked, his voice raspy. He tried to take a deep breath, but there was a sudden pain in his ribs. "Fuck, what happened?"

"You got into a car accident," Justin whispered, his voice low where Brian could hear over the sounds of the machines he was hooked to, "A truck ran into your car. It was totaled and you've been unconscious for almost a week."

"A week?" Brian nearly shot up in bed, hissing in pain at the sudden movement. "Fuck. How bad was it?" he asked. "I mean— Shit. You said the car was totaled?"

Justin pressed a gentle hand to Brian's chest making him lay back down. "It was pretty bad. Bystanders told the police the car came out of nowhere and rammed you head on. Your car looked like an accordion. You have a concussion and some broken ribs and a broken leg. The doctor said there was internal bleeding when you first got here, but they stopped it. Your still on watch though in case it starts again."

Brian lay back down, listening to Justin's explanation with interest. It was only as Justin described what happened that he really took in his surroundings. There were machines on either side of the bed, beeping away. He had an IV hooked up with what he could only guess was a morphine drip. At least they gave me the good stuff, he thought.

Looking down the length of the bed, Brian took note of the bandages wrapped around his arms. He stared down at his leg, hidden by a brace and elevated on a white hospital pillow. Fuck. That was sure to cause some problems. And, shit! His car; his precious car. It was a classic! Well, it had been a classic...

"How long have you been here?" he asked, turning his head carefully to look at Justin's face. He looked like shit, like he'd been holding vigil at Brian's side for days. Typical Sunshine...

Justin rubbed his eyes. "All week. Since you got here." He had only left to change clothes and get food. But other than that, he had never left Brian's bedside. His back was starting to hurt from sleeping in the hospital chair.

"Debbie and Michael have been in and out all week. I told them I would call if you woke up or anything changed."

Brian nodded his head slowly, as much as his body would allow. His head ached, and it seemed like every breath he took burned.

"Have you called them yet?" he rasped out. He forced a chuckle. "Mikey's probably beside himself." Brian made a move to shift, to sit up, when a sharp pain hit him and he hissed. "Ow, fuck!"

Justin jumped to help Brian move. "Take it easy. You're really banged up." He moved Brian's pillows so he was more comfortable.

"I called Deb. Her and Michael should be on their way." Justin looked over at a vase full of flowers on Brian's bedside table. "Emmett brought you flowers. Though I think they're dying already."

Brian huffed, but let Justin assist him. Once he was relaxed against the pillows, he sighed, eyeing the same vase Justin was as if it were some kind of gruesome torture device. "How sweet," he sneered at the wilting flowers. "Must be an omen."

Brian chewed on is lip for a moment before closing his eyes. "Is it too late to call them and tell them not to come?" he queried. "I'm not really in the mood to be fawned over like I'm some kind of invalid."

"I can call Deb back but I'm not sure she'll listen to me. You know how she is." Justin reached out and pushed Brian's hair out of his eyes letting his fingers brush lightly over his cheek. "God, I'm so glad you're alright. You scared the shit out of me."