Prologue

Change is inevitable. When it happens, it's quick.  Things can change in the blink of an eye and its not up to you to decide if you're ready or not.

"Em," I  groan at the sound of my mom calling for me,  "If we don't leave now you are going to miss your flight! Your dad will be angry if you aren't there in time."

I let out a breath as I finish running my brush through my tangled hair, "I'll be down in a minute!

I put my brush into my suitcase and zip it up. I look around my room for the last time an I can feel my heart sink a bit. My walls were now plain and lifeless. The decor that used to be hung up was now either on their way to California or in the donate pile in the garage. My dresser and closet are empty.   My desk that usually had a mess of papers was now clean. I spent hours sitting at that desk writing. That was the place my ideas and stories were created. 

I've spent most of my teenage life living in my head. Let me explain that.  I've always been a creative person and I have always made up stories inside my head. When I was thirteen I began writing those stories down. You tend to forget things as time goes by and I didn't want to forget these worlds I had created. I began writing things down and my passion for writing began. My passion for writing began in this room and I was now having to say goodbye. 

The more I looked  around the empty room the more the change I'm having to go through became a reality.  I was leaving my childhood home and town to move on to something that was said to be better. 

I grew up in Colorado. I always found it somewhat beautiful and somewhat boring. Theres beautiful sites to see like the mountains and rivers. However, there's not much to do unless you go to Denver.  For me, I lived in a small town so there was really nothing to do.

I was now leaving Colorado behind and moving to California. A big city in California to be exact. I had never been to California so the change would be interesting. 

I wouldn't be moving if my parent's hadn't decided to get a divorce last year. My dad was a workaholic and put his company before my mother. So, when he told her he was packing us up to take his business to California, my mom felt that was the last straw and had my dad served with papers.  Now that's not the only reason for their divorce of course, but its definitely a big part of it. 

The court decided that my parents would have to co-parent and there would be no custody battle. Though my parents gave my brother and I the option to choose who to live with. I chose my mom while my brother chose my dad. Now you may be thinking, why does she have to live with her dad now? Well, my dad managed to convince my mom that my education would be better there and that I'd have more options after high school. My mom agreed because he was right. My dream was to go to an art school for writing and you bet there are not a lot of options in Colorado. This change is supposed to be better for my future.

I closed my wooden door as I exit my room -or should I say my moms new office-for the last time. I stepped out into the hallway and began to move towards the stairs. The wooden stairs creak with each step I took. This house was so old. I believe it was built back in the early 1900s.  The creaks used to annoy me but now I didn't mind. The only time I do mind is when its the middle of the night and they begin to creak on their own. This would be the last time I'm hearing that thankfully.

"I'm gonna miss this place and its creepy noises," I whispered to myself.

I walked into the living room. My mom sat on our black leather couch poking at her new iPhone. I look around and examine the grey walls, dark wood floor, and dark couches. I remember how upset I was when my mom first decorated like this. I thought no color was boring but as I got older I realized how beautiful and elegant it was. Plus it was way better than the old floral walls and green carpet it had before.