5

"I am so sorry," I suck in a large breath and let it out before speaking again. "My alarm didn't go off this morning and I ended up waking up at eight and I had to run-"

"It's fine please sit down," The teacher snatches my late pass out of my hand and I move down the aisle of desks to find a seat.

I found an open desk next to a tall brunette I've never seen before. I could feel her staring at me as I place my bag down and sit in my desk. Opening my bag, I take out a notebook. I look up to the front of the room and begin writing down the prompt.

"I don't mean to bother you," I froze at the sound of her voice. "Are you Emmie?"

My eyes widen as she spoke my name. It was the first time someone has said my name rather than the words 'Marco's girlfriend.' It felt really nice.

"Yes I am," I grin. "If you don't mind me asking. Who are you?"

 "I'm Jocelyn but you can call me Jo or Joc, what can I call you," she smiles.

I think for a moment. "Most people just call me Emmie since its technically a nickname itself. You could call me Em." I shrug.

"I'll call you E," She nods her head quickly.

"Just E," I don't know why, but I kind of liked it.

"Yeah E is simple and it is kind of original," She smiles.

"I like it."

"You must be wondering how I knew your name," She says as  we walked to our next class. "I'm friends with Aaron and the other boys. Aaron mentioned a cool new girl and Noah went on about how annoying you were." She awkwardly gives me a boxed smile.

"Aaron was really nice and Noah," I sigh. "He really hates me."

"Noah doesn't like anyone. He's been such a dick since he came to this school. However, you get used to it and he becomes like a brother to you."

For the rest of the our we discussed random things, getting to know each other. I felt great to be talking to someone like this. Joc seemed like someone I could easily become best friends with. I told her about my writing and she told me about her obsession with Instagram. It's nice to have someone to talk to who isn't my brother, boyfriend, or someone that hates me.

Lunch rolled around and Joc and I parted ways. Though, she tried to drag me over to her table.When I finally sat down I could see her waving me over. Maybe I should sit with them. I grabbed my tray and started to get up when Marco grabbed my wrist to stop me.

"Where are you going,"  He asks.

"To talk to my friend." I point to Jocelyn who now had a mouth full of food.

"That loser," He laughs. My eyes narrow into slits as I process what he just said. Who does he think he is to say something like that? When did my boyfriend turn into such an asshole?

I grip his hand with my free one and rip it off. "She's not a loser, Marco. Making comments like that makes you the loser." With that I take my lunch and leave.

Joc cheers as I take a seat between her and Collin. Everyone greets me except for Noah. He had his arms crossed over his chest with his gaze straight ahead. Am I that bad to look at?

"Your boy doesn't look to happy that you're over here," Joc mumbles. "He hates us. Especially me because I accidentally stepped on his shoe once. I thought he was going to cry like a baby."

I look over to see Marco sending  glares my way.

"Marco has a really bad attitude and I don't want to deal with it."