Chapter 16

Chapter 16 Hilary's POV
____________________________

I spot Brayden and I hold my breath to stop myself from drooling.

The V-neck he wears shows off his six-pack and his jeans hang low around his waist.

He sees my too, and I hear him suck in a deep breath as he approaches me.

"We need to talk." I say.

He facial expression reads a mask of worry and fear of what I could say.

I take a deep breath before speaking. The fall breeze whips around me making my brown hair fly behind me.

I rock back and forth on my toes and shove me hands in my hoodie pockets.

"Brayden," I say trying to keep my voice from cracking. "You said you wanted to know why I broke up with you."

Brayden looked at me with emotions that I couldn't read.

"Go on." He shad quietly.

"I dumped you," I have to be mean.

I take a deep breath.

"I dumped you because you weren't good enough for me." I sneered and Brayden's look on his face made my heart break.

The words tasted nasty in my mouth but I knew what had to be done.

Luckily for me, my parents had bought me a voice recorder for last Christmas and I was recording the whole conversation now.

"Did I mention I was playing you as well?" I ask in a bored tone and I hear Brayden's breath hitch.

His face masks his pain and horror but the emotions are evident in his eyes.

"Tell me this isn't true." He says, his voice shaky and cracking near the end of his sentence.

"Oh but it is." I snarl and give him an evil smile.

He says nothing.

Instead, he turns around and heads straight for his car.

I watch, heartbroken, as the car speeds away.

As soon as its out of sight I let the tears flow freely.

Hilary, this is what you needed to do.

Yes. This is what I needed to do. It's what had to be done.

But the question is, will Jace keep his word?

Surely he would. I'd done all he's said for me to do.

I walked home, very slowly might add.

The breeze wasn't what caused me goosebumps. It was the fear of what Jace could now do to me.

He now had power over me, and if gladly handed it over to him. It was that easy to manipulate someone as stupid as me.

I'm so stupid.

Yes, you are. But Jace will keep his word.

I hope.

Or maybe not.

The voices in my head continued to whisper horrible things to me and played scenarios in my head that I didn't know at the time where about to happen.

I gripped my forehead in my hands and screamed at the top of my lungs.

I didn't care who heard me.

I screamed and swore as lid as I could. I cried and wiped the tears away angrily.

Now Hilary, this is exactly what they want. For you to breakdown like this.