Chapter 24

Chapter 24 Hilary's POV
____________________________

Mom drove me home in silence again. Tomorrow, I was supposed to be going in for another appointment, and I definitely wasn't looking forward to it.

By the time we arrived home, it was around dinner time, and Mom stood at the doorway and spoke to Dad in a hushed voice, while I rushed up to my room. From under Anna's doorway, the light was off and I didn't bother to stick around and check to see if she was there. Why did I even care?

I replayed the scenes of my life that I wanted to relive again. From the time where my mother didn't care what her family looked like. When my parents were actually home instead of travelling the globe for work.

"Hilary!" Moms voice rang out from the back porch as Anna and I raced each other to get to her.

"Did you bake cookies, Momma?" Anna asked in delight.

"Cookies!" I cheered and mom laughed.

"Of course I did! Now sit down and eat em' before Daddy comes home !" Mom teased and at that moment the doorknob turned and in walked my jolly ol' dad.

"Hey honey!" Dad walked over to mom and kissed her full on the lips.

Anna and I screamed as our parents laughed joyfully.

"What did you get on your trip daddy?" I asked nodding to two pink coloured boxes sitting on the table beside the plate full of delicious smelling cookies.

"I got you something very special, Hilary. Anna to."

Dad placed a silver chained necklace on Anna's neck and increased in a sliver ball was a blue sapphire stone. Anna squealed in delight and thanked dad profusely before rushing to show mom.

"What about me daddy?" I asked.

"Of course! How could I forget my special little Hilary!" Dad reached into the other pink box and pulled out a beautiful diamond sculptured pony.

'Hilary' was written in fancy writing across the front on a tiny gold plaque.

"Oh daddy! It's beautiful!" I cited jumping for joy.

But, things didn't last that way forever.

Exactly one year after that memory...

"Anna when will mom and dad come back from their date?" I asked, pressing my forehead to the window. I watched and giggled as my breathing fogged the window.

"I don't know. I supposed soon." Anna shrugged reading a new magazine.

She was 12 and I was 9.

A sudden shut of a car door excited me and I instantly rushed to the front door and burst it open just as mom and dad walked in.

"Mom, dad! Please don't leave us again!" I squealed rushing to hug my parents, but their harsh voices stopped me.

"Hilary, what're you wearing?!" My mother shrieked.

"Jeans and a t-shirt." I replied confused.

"Did the neighbours see you?" She asked frantically shutting the blinds.

"No." I replied and watched as my mom breathed a sigh of relief.

"Daddy I took my sculpture to school today! My teacher loved-"

"Hilary, I don't have time to listen to your ranting at the moment." Dad snapped and I shut my mouth and clutched the little gift in my hands.

"But, you always listen to me-"

"Enough Hilary! You will listen to what I tell you!" Dad whipped and around and his hand knocked the sculpture out of my trembling hands, sending it flying towards the floor.

"No!" I cried as the sculpture broke into millions of pieces becoming unfixable.

"Oh my goodness!" Mom exclaimed.

Dad stormed over to Anna and ripped her necklace off her neck and tossed it across the room. I could only watch in horror.

"Anna, clean up this mess!" Dad commanded. "And Hilary, get changed and make yourself look presentable!"

I nodded weakly and left the room barely tearing my eyes off the once beautiful sculpture. Anna sadly gathered the broken pieces and I watched a tear slip down her cheek.

A tear slipped down my own as well.

That was the night everything changed. Mom and Dad started traveling more for work and were often not home.

By the time Anna was 13, they weren't home at all. The missed every holiday in the book and hardly called to check in. After Anna turned 16, she started to drink and drive, do drugs and attend parties.

I decided to take my anger out on something a little more worthwhile and became popular taking Chelsea along with me.

And now here I am, siting crossed legged on my bed barely noticing that someone was entering my room.

"Hilary?" Anna squeaked and I felt the bed dip as Anna sat down beside me.

"I hate going to therapy." I blurted. "Mom just wants this family to look good. How can we when we live like this?"

"I know." Anna answers softly. "I remember that day very clearly."

I looked at her surprised and the image of the broken glass littering the floors came back to mind.

"So do I." We sat in silence enjoying each other's presence and listening the the hushed whispers of mom and dad speaking.

"What if dad hadn't smashed your sculpture or torn my necklace? Would we still be a happy family?" Anna asked.

"We can never know what would've happened. But maybe, just maybe things would resume that way." I said, and Anna nodded and said goodnight before leaving my room to crash in hers.

If he hasn't smashed the beautiful necklace and sculpture?

The question was still fresh in my head. But what if he hadn't. Would this whole facade ever have happened? Would my parents be to over protective to even let me visit social media?

I didn't know. I do know that if someone ever built a time machine, I would be first to go back and time and fix this mess. This mess that I've so disastrously created. Even if Luke was the person he said he was to be. Love isn't about controlling you're other half. Not about telling them to do this and making their lives miserable.

At least I know that much about love. I had a poor choice to learn it from.
____________________________

Hey guys! The update is finally here!

Sorry about the wait :(. It got real deep in this chapter. Torn necklace and smashed sculpture is something you might wanna remember. ;).

-Axx