XIV - Artery

July 29th, 2015

I'M BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK.

That is all.

____________________________________________________________________________________

Chapter Fourteen

When we reached the shore, I was almost surprised at the lack of happiness I felt. I truly couldn't believe that we had made it. I didn't want to believe it. I didn't want to believe that I had made it when three others didn't. One of whom had saved my life.

Jaha climbed out of the boat, panting heavily as he dragged it onto the shore and rested for a few moments.

I looked over at Murphy's arm. He was holding the cloth over it tightly, and I shook my head before sighing. I reached over and unwrapped the gauze. He flinched when I did, and I knew that the cold air that was likely licking at the wound was probably making his skin sting.

The wound was going to get infected if we didn't clean it. But, we needed to stop the bleeding first. And it was still pretty bad.

I pulled off my jacket, and took my knife from my belt. I tore at the seams of both of the arms of the jacket, ripping them off so that they looked like fabric cylinders. The fabric of the jacket would absorb more of the blood. I folded one of the sleeves over itself so that the sleeve was layered, then slipped it onto his forearm. He hissed slightly from the pain, but didn't flinch away from me. He knew what I was doing.

The sleeve was somewhat similar to a cast. The other sleeve would serve the same purpose if need be.

"John," Jaha said, walking back over to us. "Let me help you."

"I don't want anything from you," Murphy said coldly.

"He doesn't need your help, Jaha," I growled out.

"You don't know enough about how to stop the bleeding," Jaha argued.

I could tell that he didn't like me very much.

"Come on, you're a survivor. We all are."

Murphy scoffed. "Whatever you have to tell yourself to feel better, Chancellor."

"Our destiny is out there, John," he said, pointing out to the forest that was close to the shoreline.

"And what about Craig's destiny? Or Jakob's? And Richards'?" I asked. I knew that the last two weren't his fault, but what can I say? He pissed me off. He deserved to feel guilty.

"We sacrifice the few to save the many," Jaha stated, then walked away from the boat.

"You know, you're right. I am a survivor," he said, then began to stand up and get out of the boat with my help while I held his uninjured arm. I followed after him as he continued to speak to Jaha, his tone turning stone cold. "Which is exactly why, I am done following you. We'll go our own way, you can go whichever the hell way you want."

"John," Jaha said as we both followed after him. "John!" He shouted as Murphy fell to the ground.

"Get the hell away from me!" Murphy yelled at him when Jaha went to help him up.

I held my knife a little tighter at that point.

"You've lost too much blood, be still!" Jaha said, before looking up into the sky as an odd humming sound began to get louder and louder. "Did you hear that?" He stood up, watching as a drone began to fly over us all. He continued to yell at the damn thing while I kept on looking at Murphy's arm.