XLV - Left Behind

July 30th, 2016

So it's the first chapter since the depressing and unfortunate A/N and it's short af

Sorry :(

____________________________________________________________________

Chapter Fourty-Five

"We can't let Ontari get the flame," Clarke said, opening the door that led to room Titus kept the shrine in. She walked down steps with me following behind her, while Murphy stayed at the doorway. "He keeps it in the box. Just stay there, I'll be quick."

Clarke went over to the pod, while I stayed closer to the entrance. She rummaged around in it for a while, then finally pulled out a box from the pod. But she was too late, and Titus soon appeared behind the pod with an angered and, quite frankly, deranged expression on his face.

"You killed her," he said coldly. "I pulled the trigger, but it was you."

I took a step forwards as I saw Titus advancing towards Clarke.

"Titus, you made Lexa a promise, remember?" Clarke said, her voice a little shaky now.

"I know you don't want Ontari to get the flame! She murdered those kids, children. You know that Lexa's spirit would never choose her-"

"But she did," Titus stated.

"You don't believe that," I said from behind them. "Lexa wouldn't want someone as bloodthirsty and volatile as Ontari."

"I have to," he stated. "Ontari kom azgeda is the last natblida."

"Then put the damn thing in someone else!" Clarke shouted.

Titus suddenly reached out and shoved Clarke back.

"Hey!" I shouted, making him glance at me before looking back at Clarke with an angered expression.

"You stupid girl!" he hissed. "After what you've witnessed, you still think this is some superstition?! When someone without the blood takes the flame, the flame takes their life."

"I don't understand! If nightblood is so rare, then why you do let them kill each other? That has to be the dumbest succession plan I've ever-"

Clarke was cut off when Titus suddenly reached out and grabbed her throat, pushing her back against something that appeared to be some kind of cabinet. I rushed forwards and grabbed his wrist, but he didn't seem to want to let go. At least, not until I had the blade of my knife resting against his throat.

"Let her go," I growled.

He looked at me in surprise, then narrowed his eyes at me and slowly let go.

"We honor those who died in the conclave," Titus explained, looking back at Clarke again while I removed the knife from his neck.

"Wait, the eighth circle," Clarke rushed out. "Lexa had markings on her back for every life she took at her conclave. Seven circles. Only she told me that there eight novitiates in her class. What happened to number eight?"

"There's another nightblood isn't there?" I asked, and he stayed quiet. That was how I knew I was right. "Where is she, Titus?"

"She fled," he said, resentment lingering in his tone. "A coward and a traitor to the blood. Lexa refused to let me hunt her down. She's unworthy of the flame."

"More unworthy than Ontari?"

"Out of my way!" we heard a loud shout, and a moment later, Murphy had fallen down the stairs and was laying at the bottom of them.

"She's here," he grunted, then pulled himself to his feet.

"Hide," Titus said.

I went to go help Murphy, but Clarke yanked my arm to keep us behind another cabinet that would keep us hidden.

Ontari stormed into the room, Murphy coming in after her. She was still covered in the dried nightblood. "How dare you bring Skaikru into the order of the flame?" she growled.

"It's what Lexa wanted."

"Well Lexa's not Heda anymore," she said, then grinned devilishly. "Thanks to you. Let's get this over with."

Titus seemed unsure, but I knew that he was on our side when he spoke.

"You must be cleansed before you ascend," he said, then turned to Murphy. "Take her to the commander's chambers."

"Are you sure I'm ready for that?" he said, annoyed, but going along with Titus.

I wanted to rush at Ontari, not wanting her to be anwhere near Murphy, but Clarke grabbed my arm again and shook her head. So I stayed. And I watched as Ontari pointed her sword at Murphy's neck, before turning and leaving. Both of them.

"Thank you," Clarke said, coming out from the hiding place. I was a little more worried though, and it took me a moment to register exactly what had just happened.

"Even Luna would be better than her."

"Did you just 'Luna'?" Clarke asked, her eyes widening.

"Yes, you've heard that name before?"

"From my friend, Lincoln."

"Can you find her?" Titus asked, a strange air of optimism coming off of him.

Clarke nodded.

"Then perhaps the spirit hasn't chosen one after all."

"I'll take you to him," Clarke said, referring to Lincoln.

"You know they'd never allow me near her," he said, then he gave her the flamekeeper mark. He drew the invisible mark on her forehead, then he handed her the kit. "This... Is yours now."

"I'll protect it with my life," Clarke said.

"As will I," I agreed, and Titus nodded slowly to the both of us. He trusted us.

"There's a book inside, a journal of the first commander. When you find Luna, you'll need it to perform the ascension ritual. Come," he said, then turned. We both followed him to the other side of the room, where there was a giant locker. He pulled it open and showed it to us. "Armor of the past commanders. Choose something. Take the hidden passage, the tunnel will lead you to the stable. They're expecting you."

I wondered who 'they' was. I hoped it was someone we could trust.

"What about Murphy?" I asked worriedly. "He's with Ontari. What if he can't get away on his own?"

"I'll get him out," he assured us, then turned to look at Clarke directly. "Your duty is to the flame now, fleimkepa."

We both went to the passage, but before I left the room, I turned to him.

"Thank you, Titus. I promise... We will not let your people down," I told him.

He looked surprised that I seemed to care about others that weren't from my own clan, but then he nodded. "I know."

And so we left, my heart aching the entire way to the stables at the thought of leaving Murphy alone once again.

I could only hope that Titus would succeed and return him to us soon.