XXXIX - The Tyrant

I'M SO SORRY THAT THIS IS LATE

I've been working on other stories so I sowwy :(

This chapter is probably kinda weird because I wrote it last night at like 3am so it's a product of my sleep deprivation so it'll be odd...

ENJOY. ^_^

____________________________________________________________________________________

Chapter Thirty-Nine

Even in the dead of night, Polis was very well guarded. I got there far past the time of the sun setting, and yet, there were still guards circled around the tall skyscraper that Lexa and the other political leaders of the grounders now called their home.

The grounders standing at the main entrance all turned to me, but only two of them came near me as I dismounted my horse. Both of them raised their spears at me, and I could tell from the completely stone cold expressions they wore that they would have no problem with ending my life right here and now.

"I need to see Clarke Griffin," I said.

"Skaikru are not allowed in," one of the guards said, rather harshly. I didn't take offense to it, seeing how their perception of my people must have been made even more negative than it already was before.

"Alright, then tell her that Venus Bartone is here with news about Octavia."

The guards looked back and forth, then they nodded to each other. One of them turned and went into the building, disappearing behind the dark wooden doors.

I stayed standing there, not really feeling very intimidated by the fact that there was a spear pointed at my chest. The grounders didn't scare me very much. I knew that I was able to defend myself, and very few things actually frightened me at this point.

It was late, and because of that, it was almost completely silent. It was so quiet that I could clearly hear the elevator, a strange contraption that Clarke had told me about, lowering to the floor. It reached what you could easily call the lobby of the building, and as the doors opened, I heard loud and rather fast footsteps reaching the front door. it wasn't long before I saw Clarke's shocked face. She ran up to me and hugged me, and I was taken aback by the almost excited way she did so. I didn't know she even liked me that much. Lexa came up behind her, eyeing me with a confused expression, but still a little nonchalant at the same time. I hadn't know Lexa long, but I knew her well enough to be aware that she had a tendency to not show very much emotion. Well, except for anger.

Clarke pulled away, seeing the somewhat nervous look on my face. "From the look on your face, something is very wrong."

I nodded, swallowing a little. "Yes, but..." I looked up at Lexa. "Heda, I need to speak with the two of you in private."

Lexa seemed unsure for a moment, but then she nodded to each of her men, who had slowly begun to lower their weapons and watch us closely. They lowered them completely, and stood up straight, allowing me to pass through. Clarke and Lexa led me into the building and to the elevator.

"This thing is... Odd..." I muttered as we stepped into it. Even since the whole lighthouse incident, I really didn't like enclosed spaces. This thing was just a tiny tin box, and I was allowing it to lift me up twenty floors. That really wasn't a very appealing idea.

Clarke smiled a little at my weirded-out reaction, and I could have sworn that I saw Lexa's lips curl upwards ever so slightly as she held her hands behind her back and stood straight. She certainly looked like a leader.

We went to the top floor, where I was taken to a room that seemed to be Lexa's quarters. All of us sat down on pieces of furniture that resembled couches, but was closer to the ground.

"Why exactly are you here, Venus of Skaikru?" Lexa asked, sitting by Clarke while I sat down across from them.

"Bellamy and Pike are planning on attacking a village," I said, looking down at the ground. I tried to rush my words so that they wouldn't explain in rage. "They're planning on burning a village. Kane found out and told us. There was no way that such a small group of us could stop them. Our only option was to warn the villagers, which is where Octavia is now. She's telling them what's happening, and we can only hope that they listen. At this point, there are three options. They stay and Pike attacks them, they stay and attack Pike since they know he's coming, or they leave and no more blood will be spilled. I can only hope that they choose the latter."

They both stayed quiet for a long time, until Lexa spoke. "I can see that not all of your people are supporters of death and violence."

I nodded. "I can tell you now that a fairly large percentage of our people did vote for Kane, there just wasn't enough of them to beat out Pike. The people that voted for Kane do not want violence, they don't want anyone else to die."

"Why did you come to tell us this? Why not just let it happen? Why would you save them?"

"Because you came to save us," I said. "Even if this doesn't work, you need to know that some of us did try to help. We tried to stop Pike, but the truth is, he is a tyrant that is willing to murder innocent people to get what he wants for his own. We need to either foil his plans like we have attempted to do now, or..."

"Or take him out," Clarke said, looking down at the ground. I could tell that she was very much against the subject of death. At least, she was now.

"We shall see what happens," Lexa said. "For now, we have other things to take care of. Tomorrow is ascension day, and I invite you to stay and attend it."

I nodded, my lips curling up into a soft smile. "I would love to, Heda."

"Please, call me Lexa," she said, standing. "Now, I will have Clarke show you to your room," she turned to Clarke. "It's the room next to yours."

Clarke nodded. "Of course. Goodnight, Lexa."

Lexa smiled a little, and we both turned to leave.

"She respects you," Clarke said. "That doesn't happen very often."

"You would know," I said, smirking a little.

"Shut it, Ven," she said, and I saw the small tint of pink forming on her cheeks. "Now isn't the time."

"Of course not. We have to murder a tyrant first," I sighed. "Isn't earth fun?"

"Oh yes, It's just delightful," Clarke muttered, shaking her head.

"Well, I suppose that tomorrow, we'll let the chips fall where they may and deal out justice where it is required," I said to her as we neared our rooms.

She nodded. "Agreed."