Chapter 4 This Big Old Complicated World Of Mine

I was walking down the corridor with my jacket on and my bag slung over my shoulder when I heard my name come onto the announcements.

"Danielle Austin please come to the deans office!"  "Danielle Austin please report to the deans office!"

People in the hallway started to stare at me. "Ahhh!" I sighed. I needed to get to my next class! I stopped a girl with red hair that was put into curled pigtails. "Excuse me, but do you have any idea where the deans office is?" She looked at me and smiled. "Your the new girl right?" "Danielle, isn't it?" I laughed and nodded my head. "Yeah that's me." "Well." She said. "The deans office is just down the hall to the right and two doors down." I starred down the hall and saw a few kids heading that way. "Thank you." I started to walk down the hallway leaving the red head with pigtails behind. I took a right and came up to the second door stopping short. I took in a deep breath and knocked on the door. Twice.

     "Come in." I heard a male voice say. I grabbed the knob and twisted it carefully. I walked into the brightly lit room that came from the sunshine outside, making sure to close the door behind me. When I herd the klick I turned back around towards him. The dean was in a black suit with a grey tie and black shoes that made his brunette hair and hazel eyes stand out. He was sitting in a black leather chair behind his darkly brown stained desk that had a weird spinning metal contraption place on it. Automatically I was suspicious. "Please sit down." He said gesturing to the two wooden seats that were right in front of me. "My name is Mark Henderson." I walked forward and sat down carefully setting my duffel bag to the side of my chair. "I hear your quit popular, considering that you haven't even been here a full day." I smiled. "But that doesn't excuse your former behavior." I nodded, my features becoming serious. "Yes sir I understand." He looked at me quizzically. "Do you?" He asked. "I do sir." "I came here after I had gotten the letter because I wanted to make something better of myself." "I want to do better." "Sir."

He starred at me for a few seconds deciding wether or not to believe me. "Well you look like your devoted to this Mrs. Austin so I won't stop you now." I sighed. "Thank you sir." Just then there was a knock on the door. The dean looked surprised. "Um, uh, come in." "Please." The knob on the door twisted and in stepped of all people, my instructor. His stern blue eyes were focused solely on the dean, he almost didn't even bother to look at me until he gave me a slight glance as he put an envelope down on the deans desk. "Sir six students were reported to the infirmary this morning, and there have been three absences today." "Six students already?" "How'd that happen?" Asked the dean, looking up from his desk at my instructor. My instructor was silent. I spoke up. "Ah, hum." "Sir that was my team's doing." "We um, beat the other team this morning and one of our own got hurt." "Yes her team is highly skilled sir." My instructor added. The dean looked through the paperwork and smiled as he closed the envelope. "Well I'm impressed." He added. "Thank you sir." We said at the same time. I looked over at my instructor and he looked at me giving me wide eyes, almost as if he was annoyed with me.

         "Well seeing that you've done so well on your first day I'll reward you with a small gift, I'll let you skip the rest of your classes today so that you can get settled in." "All you have to do is go into the cafeteria for lunch if you want to, but I'm expecting you to make up the work." "Yah hear?" He said firmly. I nodded my head. "Yes sir." "I'll have Reece Cain here show you to your room." I looked at my instructor. His name was Reece? It kinda fit him actually. "Ok, thank you very much." I said as I stood up and slung my bag over my shoulder. I looked at my instructor. "Are you ready to go?" I asked him as I heard a bunch of rambunctious boy's approaching from down the hall. His blue eyes were tinted with concern about something? "I need to have a quick word with the dean, I'll be out in a minuet." I nodded my head. "K." I said. I walked toward the door, exiting out into the hall. Once I closed the door I took a few steps to the left and leaned against the wall. There was windows on the other side of the hallway that gave you a view of the outdoor training area and beyond that was a bit of grass leading to a dense forrest that surrounded the back half of our school. There were kids out there on this training structure, and they kept getting flown off, it was almost like a obstacle course