Chapter 19 Into The Darkness

The dean looks at me with a fire in his eyes that is so damn condescending he might as well have been from the book Highland Warrior. Everything about him reeks of "professional murder". You know, the kind where he never gets his hands dirty and covers a killing up like its the last employee he fired. Quick, easy, and nobody has to know about it. Like a smudge that just needs to be lightly wiped away.

"You know, a young lady like you really shouldn't be saying such a nasty word like that." "It's unbecoming." I looked at him beaming with sarcasm and rage. "Reeeeaaallyyy, you fucking  bastard!"

He looked at me with fiend offense. Like he'd just been called fat by a fellow queen B or something.

The dean makes his way towards me, his fingers fluttering in the air like he'd just cast a spell. His whole body and all his movements secreted a sort of snooty arrogance. "Prissy." Is the one word that comes to my mind. He stops abruptly in front of me with a sneer across his face. "With your kind of attitude, I'm surprised that you've survived this long." "It's not like you put out any kind of inherent charm sweetheart."

"No shit." I thought, grinning at him.

Just then the door that the dean first entered through squealed open again just like it had the first time and like a ghost, a boy stepped out of the doorway's shadow appearing like some sort of apparition. I saw his hair before anything else until he looked up into the light.

"Nooo."

It was Lyle.

He was standing there with his hands behind his back, all his muscles were taunt like a soldier. There was a sort of build to him that I didn't notice before. He was, poised.

"Hello, Danielle."

"Don't hello me Lyle." I said angrily fidgeting under the pressure of the man who is pulling on my hair. "If and when I survive this, I'm going to gut you and chop off your head like a freshwater trout." "And it won't be quick either." "That's a promise."

"Hmm." He said curtly.

He then turned to the dean and started to speak. "I held up my end, now it's time to hold up yours."

"Yes." "There is a car waiting for you outside, you could go to the infirmary, get her, and be gone."

Confusion raced through my mind.

"Get who?"

That's when the dean came very close to me and spoke mockingly.  "The one that you asked to keep fighting no matter what, because you can't stand to loose another single person on this planet, no matter what differences you had in the past."

Her name falls from my lips and I can almost hear it shatter on the floor like a broken glass.

"Emma..."

The dean gives me a stomach churning grin. "Smaaart girl." I look at the Dean. "How'd you know that I said that?" The dean chuckled. "I have video feed to all of the major parts of the school, I made sure that there was one in Emma's and Isabel's room." I look from the Dean back at Lyle and stare at him like he's the craziest person I have ever met in my entire life.

"You sick fuck."

His entire body projects annoyance towards me in waves. The dean snorts flicking his head in Lyle's direction. "Well she's not wrong." Lyle's eyes are ablaze as he starts to come at me when the dean reaches out his arm and stops him. "Calm down." "Go." He says flicking his finger towards the door. "There is a car waiting for you outside, don't come back." Lyle stares at me for a moment before turning his back to me and stalking over to the door he had come from.

  With his right hand he reaches for the knob and twists it. As the door opens he just stands there looking into the darkness. I speak up, my voice coming out harshly.

"She's never going to love you Lyle, if she didn't before she's definitely not going to now."

A few seconds go by as he flips over my words in his mind before he cracks his neck twisting his head to the side, adjusts both his shoulders, and steps into the darkness, disappearing just as the door closes, echoing through the candle lit church behind him.