Chapter 5

Elgire was quiet on our way to his king's throne room, and I did not bother to start even a small conversation at the moment, since I was too busy being worried about what will become of me and Robin.

Will this king Thranduil allow us to leave?

If he did, where would we go?

It has become quite obvious to me as I'm walking down extravagant hallways with golden curtains and magnificently carved archways with intricate designs of leaves and forests, that this might actually be the Middle Earth that J.R.R. Tolkien described in his Hobbit novel.

I remember seeing the sick looking trees and the giant spiders before I had passed out, and now that I think more about it, the more obvious it becomes that this place-this palace full of elves- is the very same Mirkwood ruled by the dwarf-hating King Thranduil!

Well, that settles it then-we're screwed.

From what I've read about this elvish king, I already know that he's cruel and cold-hearted.

And that Legolas, from the Lord of The Rings Trilogy ,also written by J.R.R. Tolkien, is his only son and heir to his throne.

My heart began to fly around inside my chest as Elgire and I came upon two great wooden doors with more intricate cravings of trees and a crown.

This must be his throne room!

Elgire knocked on the doors and a second later they swung inward, allowing us to enter.

As we walked down a strangely smooth wooden pathway to the king, I began to silently send out mental prayers to god and my mother, and also any of my favorite teachers just in case.

Not like they would really get them or anything, but it would help me to ease my guilty conscience before the king has me beheaded for just being in his forest.

'Mom, I just want to let you know that I'm sorry I ate the rest of your secret chocolate stash that I found in one of the cabinets above the fridge. They were delicious!'

'God, I'm sorry I grabbed the nearest thing that just happened to be near me that one day, and ended up throwing my bible at the bike messenger through the upstairs window who wouldn't stop ringing his bell that Saturday morning. I promise that if there is a next time, I would find something more better, like a frying pan to use.'

We were almost to King Thranduil's throne and I could make out the giant horns that protruded from his throne chair.

Wow. That is some amazing decor.

'Mr. Duglsey, I'm sorry that I actually did feed my Algebra 2 homework to my dogs, and you didn't believe me! But I'm not sorry for nailing those tacks into your chair, or super-gluing your chair to the floor-that's still just too hilarious!'

I gave a small smile at those memories but I quickly dropped it when I felt someone's unnerving gaze on me. I lowered my head as Elgire bowed next to me and said, " My King, I have brought the girl as you requested."

I just stood there, with my head bowed, not daring to look up and meet the gaze of the guy who would most surely be deciding my fate and how I would die.

Please , whatever the way I will end up leaving this world by , don't let it be burned at the stake! I can't do it unless I have some marshmallows and graham crackers!

Okay, judging by the King's cold expression, this is so not the time to be joking about death.

" Who are you, girl? Why have you come here? Answer truthfully and I may allow you to live."

King Thranduil sneered down at me when he noticed how bad I was shaking with fright.

"M-my name is Milana Cartwright, and I came here with my...friend, Robin. And as for why I have come here, I don't really know, because-you see-I was kidnapped by some really ugly orcs and-"

"Silence! You only spin more lies with your silver tongue!"

Startled by his sudden outburst, I shut my mouth and took a small step back, feeling extremely intimidated by his towering form.

To my surprise, Elgire stood and came forward, between me and the King.

" Please, My King, the girl really was found captured by two orcs in the forest-Prince Legolas himself-"

King Thranduil cut him off with one deadly look, before turning around and ascending the steps back up to his giant throne.

" Tell me,little human girl, are you in league with the orc filth or dared to trespass through my kingdom? The orcs you were with were Gundabad Orcs, and they were very far from their home. Why would they go through the trouble of keeping you alive, instead of making you into their next meal?"

Frustration began to grow in me as I stared at the stupid, handsome elf king who sat in front of me with an almost curious expression.

How would I get him to believe that I'm from another world , and just wish to leave to find a way back home with my dog?

But a part of me knew that he would never believe me if I told him the truth, so I would just have to make it out like I have lived in this world all of my life.

That shouldn't be so hard, right?

Crap, I think I just jinxed it!

" Why would I be working with cold-blooded killers who kidnapped me when I was on my way back home? They were going to eat me! I was only trying to escape them, and it didn't occur to me of where I was!"

I made sure to increase my breathing, resulting in me panting at the end of my short speech to make it look more believable. But it wasn't too hard, since I really was worked up about being kidnapped by man-eating creatures who seemed to be under their 'Master's' orders.

But, who the Master could be, or why I was really kidnapped is a mystery to me.

'My theater teacher would be giving me at least a B+ for my effort right now if he was here , instead of all those C-'s I've been getting all semester.' I thought glumly,sighing internally.

King Thranduil stared at me for a good while, and I soon began to fidget from feeling so uncomfortable.

His sharp , bright blue eyes pierced right through me as he seemed to be assessing me.

I hope he believes that I'm just a young girl trying to find her way back home with her trusted companion, and nothing else.

What made him think that I would actually be working with those ugly brutes who took me from my world?

He really must be insane!

After a while, King Thranduil motioned for Elgire to take me away with a dismissal wave of his hand.

Elgire stepped forward once again , and addressed the King.

" What shall I do with her, my King?"

King Thranduil met my gaze and I flinched at the raw hatred that suddenly appeared in his eyes.

What crawled up his butt and laid a nest?

" Take her and this...Robin to the dungeons. Let them rot, I do not care."