Chapter 15

Milana's POV:

When I came to again, my head was pounding from inescapable pressure that was slowly building as each second went by. The flashing memories certainly didn't make it any better. My mind was so far gone by now, that I couldn't even tell if anything around me was real anymore.

Each time I closed my eyes, I saw my father's ashen corpse being put into a coffin in the moist earth, and frightening faces coughing up black blood as they gurgled their final laugh before the world fell silent.

I saw it. I remember the thing slinking out of the shadows as my father held my hand on our way home from the movies. Mom had been working a late shift that night, and so, it had just been dad and I who had gone to see the new release of 'A Bug's Life'. Around 9:30 , the movie had ended, and Dad decided to stop by a local diner for a bite to eat.

We lived in a small town at the time, so everything was within a good walking distance of 1.5 miles from the house. My six year old self was still giggling as I remembered everything that had happened in the movie.

We had just crossed a dark, and dilapidated alley between an antique store and a rundown toy store, when the dark came.

At the time, my little mind couldn't comprehend what was going on, but now, my matured, 18 year old brain could.

One minute my dad was smiling down at me with his warm, chocolate brown eyes. In the next instant, I was yanked back by some invisible force into the dark alleyway.

My eyes were wide and fearful as I saw my dad's own eyes reflect the horror he felt within as a chilling voice spoke right next to my ear. The voice sounded like nails scratching a chalkboard and my little body flinched away from it as I screamed for daddy.

" You couldn't hide from us forever, Markel. Master feels betrayed. Master doesn't like lying, double-crossing, animal. Master wants lizard dead, dead, dead."

The voice cackled before the black arm tightened around my windpipe.

I started feeling lightheaded as my oxygen supply was cut off from me.

I saw my dad's eyes flash to golden slits before he stepped into the alley.

"Unhand my daughter, Kiol. This fight is between you and me, release her."

My father's hands suddenly grew into scaly claws and he began to growl animalistically when 'Kiol' made no move to release me.

"Master wants lizard's daughter. Yes, she would make a fine pet. But first, lizard must die."

I tried screaming no, but everything was already turning fuzzy. I could feel my frail body falling to the ground as Kiol dropped me, before charging at my dad quicker than lightning with a wicked -looking sword.

Dad didn't seem to care when the sword pierced his flesh right below his ribcage. He just bit off a sizable chunk from , what I now recognized to be, the Orcs' arm with his now elongated snout.

Black blood dripped from the Orcs' right arm as he howled in pain before slashing at Dad again.

This time, Kiol drove his sword straight through my dad's heart when the opportunity flashed by.

I opened my mouth to scream, but could only stare silently while waterfalls poured out of my eyes, as my dad's eyes bulged, and his features returned to that of an ordinary human.

Kiol let out a gleeful shout as he took a step back to watch my dad's lifeless body fall.

" The mighty lizard is dead! Master is pleased! Now, little lizard will be Master's new pet."

My blurry eyes opened even more to see Kiol walking towards me with a dangerous glint in his eyes.

I just lay there, cowering in muck and shaking with anger and sorrow.

" Come here, little girl. Master will treat you best of all his pets. You will serve him better than the mighty lizard did, and not be a lying, double crossing animal."

Kiol sheathed his sword, covered in my father's golden blood, before he bent down and reached for me with a curled hand.

I threw my arms up to protect myself,and this time, I screamed "no!" , and suddenly , I felt an intense presence within me that gave me a surge of power.

Out of nowhere, the alleyway was lit up with a brilliant blast of white light, and Kiol shrieked as he was blown back into the alley brick wall.

Before I could really comprehend what just happened, the presence, the feeling of immense power, and the unconscious Kiol faded away, and I let the darkness consume me.

When I came to, the next morning, the police were already at our front door. When they asked me what I saw, I only wrapped my arms around myself in my bed and began to shake again at the flood of memories. Memories that I would bury for the next 12 years, before they would be unleashed.

"The monster killed my daddy. My daddy was a monster too."