Chapter 18

Thranduil's POV:

My nostrils flared at the stench of death hanging in the air, and I couldn't wait to be back in my palace.

I had had plans to make Milana bathe me when we returned  as part of her punishment, but she was currently unconsciousness and in my arms.

My heart was beating at a quickened pace due to all the adrenaline still racing through my blood stream from the short battle and the anxiety I was currently feeling towards Milana's rapidly worsening condition.

My mind was in turmoil as we rode on my elk, the rest of my soldiers marching in a somber step behind us.

Legolas and Tauriel were both keeping up staying in step with my elks fast trotting on either side of us.

Thirty-five of my soldiers were slain today. So many who would never be forgotten by their loved ones. A victorious day, but then again, death always wins in the end.

After we return, I must send out notaries to all the deceased's families.

I must send for Lord Elrond from Rivendell to attend to Milana and assist me in figuring out what the Dark Ones servants are up to, and how it involves my little human girl.

Milana.

There was a strange fluttering in my stomach every time I thought of her and my heart clenched again when I thought of what those beasts had done to her.

A small part of me wondered at the miracle of the human girl who lay in my arms and another part hated myself and despised her for interrupting my secured existence.

I already knew I was becoming infatuated with the girl, but I did not wish for it to happen for it would mean that I was betraying my first love,Legolas' mother.

I glanced down at Milana and sucked in a breath at how sickly pale she looked.

The spider's venom was paralyzing her body, and since she had an excessive amount of it in her bloodstream, there was little to no chance that she would-

No.

I wouldn't dare think of it.

For some untimely reason, I couldn't bare even to think that the human girls light would fade so quickly from this world.

I would not allow it.

She still needed to be punished for her unruly behavior and treatment of me and my kin, after all.

**********************

I let out a weary sigh as I settled down on my great throne, awaiting word of Lord Elrond's arrival any minute now.

Four days had passed in wretched silence. Not a single peep had been made by Milana in all the time she had spent bed-ridden.

I had the best elleth's healing her, slowly feeding the antidote to the spider's venom in Milana's bloodstream.

Too slowly.

I was nearly losing my insanity and my patience had all but deserted me in the time that it took for  Legolas to return from his hunt with Lord Elrond trailing behind him a short ways.

"Ada. Lord Elrond has just arrived. I will speak of my report when your meeting is adjoined."

I barely nodded my thanks to my son before I dismissed him from my presence.

I did not wish for him to see me in such a state, especially now that I will finally retrieve some long-awaited-for answers from the grim , dark-haired elf lord in front of me.

"The grand Elvenking," Lord Elrond bowed before straightening and looking me straight in the eyes. "I have come on your request and wish to help you further investigate these strange occurrences."

I stepped down from my throne and studied Elrond with a cold gaze.

"Greetings, old friend. What have your eyes seen these past moons to trouble me so in such a scrutinizing manner?"

Elronds eyes looked weary as he heaved out a long sigh before replying.

"There is a growing darkness in the ruins of Dol Goldhur. I have turned a blind eye to all else, but this one issue. I had counsel with Lady Galadriel two moons back and was albeit a little surprised to find that the ruins have been inhabited for quite some time, it seems. Nasty things have happened there, Thranduil. Terrible things that I dare not speak of."

A cold shiver ran down my spine and I felt that foreboding feeling of dread that had been in my stomach these past few weeks rise up and show its horrendous head.

"My friend, I will tell you all that has been happening within my kingdom, beginning with the arrival of a human girl, and hopefully we can come to some conclusion after you have examined her."

It was a painful ten minutes later that I had finished and Elrond had asked his fill of questions before he motioned for me to walk past him to the throne doors.

"Lead the way to the mortal girl, Thranduil. I fear we will find answers that would best be left alone."