Chapter 25

Thranduil's POV:

Thranduil. Please-

My eyes flew open and my lips parted as I lay in bed, panting slightly from the nightmare I had just escaped from.

My mind reeled as the voice echoed faintly in the recesses of my mind. A very familiar voice.

"Milana," I whispered, my voice suddenly sounding raspy, like it had been centuries since I had last  drunk an ounce of water.

Something was wrong-desperately amiss. But, what is it? 

My mind replayed the nightmare of Milana's face scrunched up in pain as she doubled over and fell to the ground.

It had switched to red-hot flames erupting around the human girl before her eyes had turned completely golden and her pupils turned snake-like.

I remember watching silent horror as blue flames erupted around Milana and a part of me feared that she was burning alive when she cried out from the contact of the flame against her bare legs.

Burning alive.

I could no nothing as my body wasn't even really there, this seemed to have been more of an out-of-body-experience within a dream more than anything else.

A full minute hadn't even passed before the realization had dawned on me in the dream.

She wasn't burning alive, but, in fact, was transforming.

A chill ran down my spine and I flung my comforters aside in my haste to dress.

I knew what had to be done. I only pondered if I had the strength to see it to the end.

As soon as my last shoe was placed on my right foot,I snatched my royal silver cape and clasped it at the base of my neck.

I secured my sword at the base of my left hip before hurrying out of my room to find a guard to summon my son and the Captain of the Guard.

**********************

"Ada,amin uma il- nowa ta noldo a' travel e' such y' dangerous coiasira." I do not think it wise to travel in such a dangerous time.

Legolas held my elk's reigns in one  hand as the horse master prepared my saddle.

His mouth was set in a grim line and his eyes were hard as they begged me  with silent earnest to reconsider.

But, I would not have it.

"Ai lasse, too an(n) has lle atar hame idle deno' ho mahalma. amin will il- hama n'alaquel ar' watch lye enemies duna a' val once ner. i' re has tul a ten' sen existence a' be cleansed tuulo' ened Arda." Little leaf, too long has your father sat idle upon himsthrone. I will not sit back and watch our enemies rise to power once more. The day has come for their existence to be cleansed from middle Earth.

I could tell Legolas was quickly becoming exasperated and frustrated with my choice of action, and it warmed my cold heart a smidget to know that he was , in actuality, worried for  the safety of his king.

"Ie' least lava amin a' travel yassen lle. Eller naa ai estela en' lle makien y' entula voyage, atar."At least allow me to travel with you. There is little hope of you making a return voyage, father.

I knew the risks of what I was about to do. As did Legolas and my stony-faced Captain, Tauriel, who stood off to the side in silence.

It has been far too long since I have gone anywhere outside my kingdom. Now, I felt the time had risen when a king must take charge and protect those he cares about.

If I back out now, the darkness will spread and devour these lands quicker than before and with more force. Everyone will die-the elves that still remain here, the dwarves that linger among their rocks and riches, and the mortals who cower and challenge.

One mortal in particular I would not see pass on from this lifetime yet. The others, I didn't rightly care too much about, but I would still fight to keep my reign over those who seek to overthrow me.

The Dark One.

I barely held back a shudder at the name, and I felt Legolas' knowing eyes narrow at my now mounted form upon my elk in the uncanny way that only I myself, apart from his departed mother, can do.

"Lotesse i' me'a en' i' giliath guide lle no' y' varna tarna." May the light of the stars guide you on a safe passage.

I heard Tauriel step forward and repeat the phrase, only she added 'my king' at the end.

Both bowed and I lowered my head in acknowledgement before snapping my reigns  to get my elk to start moving.

The gates opened and I kicked my elk's side to start into a gallop as we did not have much time to lose.

I will call forth those of the Council who still remained and we will join forces once and for all.

I will keep Milana from her destined doom.

I will ride these lands of the wretched evil if it's the last thing that I do.