Chapter 9

I couldn't believe it.

The cold, heartless elf king had his guards escort me to a comfortable room with an actual bed!

The kings past mistreatment of me and Robin now forgiven and almost forgotten, I grinned as I let Robin loose to go and discover the best place to take a nap on his own.

Sighing in contempt, I surveyed my surroundings, and wondered why King Thranduil had not ordered his guards to take me back to the dungeon.

'Maybe, this is just a cruel trick, and any minute now the guards will be back and dragging Robin and I back to the dungeons.'

Glancing at the simple, wooden door with a black metal handle, I decided that I was safe for now and made my way across the plush white carpet and the large, brown wardrobe to the very soft looking bed with rich purple bed sheets and white -feather stuffed- pillows.

I sighed as I felt how soft the mattress was, and closed my eyes to catch up on some much needed sleep.

'Aww crap, I forgot to feed the dog....'

********************

Pounding on the door woke me and a startled Robin out of our naps, which led to me jumping out of bed and face-planting the floor.

"Oomph".

Quickly , I used my arms and legs to push off from the floor and make my way to the door.

Five steps later, I knock into the side of a chair and fall onto the floor again.

Talk about being half dead when you wake up.

I snort at my sarcastic thought, and scramble on all fours over to the door.

There is no way I'm tripping a third time now.

Now standing in front of the door, I open it a crack and peek through.

Just an elf maid with a tray.

Ooohh, that's food!

Mentally face-palming myself, I open the door wider and step aside.

"Hi, you can come in if you want... or whatever."

Nodding her head in understanding, the maid entered the room and walked over to a small wooden table and set the covered silver tray down.

The elf turned in my direction and kept her gaze on the ground as I waited for her to leave.

As sunlight shone into the room, I could see how beautiful she was, and I was slightly envious of how elves had immortality and a graceful beauty that would never fade like us humans.

Her hair was a long , hip-length, curtain of auburn color, and her tall, slim figure made me feel as if my petite, slightly chubby frame was incredibly fat.

Her odd, golden eyes glanced from me to the door and back again, and it took me a moment to realize that she was waiting for me to dismiss her.

"Uhhh.... Thank you for the food... erm.. you can go now." The elf maid nodded her head once, gave a small smile, and silently exited the room.

The feel of Robin's small furry frame rubbing against my left leg brought my attention to the tray sitting on the table.

" C'mon boy, let's see what treats that elf king decided to give you." I bent down and scooped Robin up as I walked over to the tray and lifted the lid.

There was a bowl of cut-up pineapple and watermelon, a jug of what looked like creamy milk with some honey mixed into it, and a plate of thick bread slices and slabs of thinly cut meat with a medium sized block of cheese.

Picking up the meat, I held Robin with one arm as I used my other hand to feed him the meat.

He sniffed it first, then went in and nipped the whole piece of cooked meat right out of my hand.

I ran my fingers through Robin's furr, before I set him down on the ground and took the cheese and bread off of the plate, before taking it and setting it down on the ground with the meat on the plate, so he can have no trouble getting to it.

"Gobble it all up boy. We're going to get out of here today."

Sitting on the bed , I took the rest of the food and scarfed it all down in a matter of minutes.

Afterward, I settled down to think of a plan to escape .