Mutations: ~ Chapter Three ~

Mutations:

~ Chapter Three ~

 "Wake up, Six!" 

Inhaling sharply, my senses began to regain consciousness once again, and snapped back into action. My body was heavy with the need for rest, and I momentarily feared that exhaustion would eat me alive one day.

Everything would hurt when I woke up properly, I just knew it would.

Already, my sensitive nose was picking up the sharpness of floor cleaner, and the antibiotics that were clouding the air. I could taste Eric's cologne, and feel the itchy fabric beneath me too well.

Brightness temporarily blinded me as my eyes fluttered open, and I could see dust follicles swaying in the air above me. Everything felt hyperaware, and I needed to stay still for it to pass- until the ambush of floral perfume, that threatened to burn out my nostrils!

As expected, my muscles greeted me with a painful burning ache. The memory of my fight flashed back into my mind at a lightning speed, and my eyes sharpened.

"Is he here?"

Acting before I could think, I was out of the stiff bed I had been sprawled out in moments before, and on my feet. My hand's collided with Eric's broad chest as I shoved him hard against the wall, taking a protective stance in front of him.

Not something that I had ever done before in my life. I wanted to move, and apologize for grabbing him in the way I did but there was a stronger instinct inside of me that wouldn't allow it.

An almost primal instinct.

Even Eric seemed startled by my sudden movement, and he held his hands up, "We're the only ones that are in here." He answered in a soothing tone, touched with caution as he watched me carefully, "What is it, that you think you're doing?"

"What, it's not obvious?" I snapped, ignoring his every word as I pressed him harder against the wall. Moving my nose across his body, inhaling deep enough that I could smell the lingering scent of his last meal. I didn't smell him, so he wasn't here, yet

That was a small mercy.

My forearm was pressed hard enough Eric's throat to keep him in place against the wall, but light enough so that he had no problems breathing. Although, I could see the discomfort on his face, "You're protecting me." He announced, staring into my soul with that look in his eyes.

Just that expression itself, screamed out knowledge beyond my own. I hated that he didn't share all that he knew with me, but I understood why. There was a new feeling bursting inside of me that was distracting, to say the least, and it made my shoulders bunch together.

I had always believed that Eric didn't, ever, need to be protected from anything, because he could protect himself, but now I knew the truth.

He was mine to protect, and I needed to do just that. If that Three ever came at Eric, he would be dead. No way would he survive. Eric was right, I was protecting him. Because I needed to be the one to protect him, so that he would be safe, no one else can do it like I can.

"He'll come back." I announced, as I lifted my hand away from him, and stepped forward with my gaze locked on the doors window, peering out of it for any sign of Subject Three.

Eric stepped away from the wall, and moved towards the back of the room towards the chair. His movements were slow, so not to startle me anymore than I was, and it made comfort swell through me, "What makes you believe that?" He asked me, almost robotically, as he placed his arm on the rests.