Mutations: ~ Chapter Thirty Three ~

Mutations:

~ Chapter Thirty Three ~

My punishment began the next day.

No one told me but I knew as much because when I woke up; everybody was already gone, and only one person was sitting in the lounge.

Veronica sat with her ankles crossed, and a tablet in her manicured fingers. Long red waves swept over her shoulder, and a cold look on her focused features.

She looked like a monstrous queen.

"Good morning, Six." Veronica greeted placing her tablet on the table, "How about we talk?"

A horrible taste filled my mouth, it sounded more like a command rather than a request. And since I didn't have any choice in the matter, I sat down on the couch across from her.

Veronica didn't look like the type of woman who should be a Handler. She looked like a woman who wanted the world to kneel at her feet; Veronica wanted power.

"What do you want?" I asked gingerly, my body tense like a coiled cat. I tried to look more relaxed but something about Veronica rubbed me the wrong way, ever since I first laid eyes on her, "It's not like I can go anywhere. Hayden told me that I would be locked in here."

Veronica neither confirmed nor denied that, instead she smiled icily and laced her fingers together on her lap, "You don't like me very much, do you?" She guessed, not losing her smile but now it seemed understanding, "Of course you don't. You blame me for losing Eric. Yes?"

"Yes." I didn't know that it was true until Veronica asked me. A new-found pit of anger bubbled to life deep inside me, making me grind my teeth together, "You took him from me."

A sympathetic curve of her lips made my jaw twitch, "Loss does that to you, you need someone else to take the blame so that you don't find yourself responsible." Veronica nodded, thoughtfully, and I frowned, "And I am happy to carry the load if it eases your guilt."

"Why should I feel guilty?" I asked too quickly. Her brows quirked and I realized that I had fallen into her trap.

Veronica sighed deeply as she smoothed down her black skirt, "Because it was your own fault you lost him; you became too attached, Six." She had the nerve to say.

Too attached.

Veronica's lips pressing against Two's cheek, her hand sliding along his strong arm, referring to herself as Two's family. These were all the mental images that flashed through my mind as I forced myself not to launch from my seat and rip her perfect hair from her scalp.

Clearly, Veronica had not anticipated on anger being the primary emotion to arise from her words but it was what she got.

"Eric wasn't family; he was my Handler." I bit out, making her brows lower again, "Just like you're not Two's family."

Something flashed across Veronica's face as her eyes widened for a split second, "What makes you say that, Six?" She asked in a seemingly neutral tone but I could hear the demand behind her words.

"I don't know what you're up to," I began before I could stop myself, "But I always win games."

To say that Veronica was shocked would be an understatement; I had never seen her so surprised since I met her.

Those cherry red lips parted in surprise as her perfectly sculpted brows lowered in confusion, but I don't if it was because she didn't understand what I was saying, or if she did. I could hear the steady rhythm of her heart being disrupted by a startled jump, and she inhaled sharply.