Mutations: ~ Chapter Forty Four ~

Mutations:

~ Chapter Forty Four ~

"Now is not the time, Ripper."

"No. There never is a time for me, is there?"

The man didn't look like the psychotic, evil genius, everyone made him out to be. I expected him to be old; dressed in tweed, and proper haired, maybe even a mustache.

Ripper was everything except from the mental image I had of him. He was young, or younger than I had imagined he would be.

Ripper was tall with a lean figure and wavy dark hair, it shaped his face and brushed against his sharp jawline at the front but was short at the back. He didn't look like a maniac. The man who created us looked like he had all the knowledge of this world hidden behind his dark eyes.

"We're running out of time." Emma's tone was hoarse with nerves and her face was pinched with frustration. She didn't know what to say, or what to do, "We have to leave, now."

Zero's gaze flickered towards the slim blonde for a fraction of a second before it landed back on me, intent clear as day in her eyes, but I didn't know what she had planned. Whatever it was, it had to be something of Ripper's creation.

"I can help you." Ripper offered smoothly, resting a hand on Zero's shoulder. The girl immediately loosened her stance, and even relaxed a little, "I helped create the security details for this bunker, I could help you out right now. Or, I can leave myself, and seal you in here."

He already sounded like a devil who wanted to make a deal.

The threat tasted bitter in the air, hanging heavy over everyone's heads. No one wanted to accept his help but there was no choice, Eric didn't trust him, and any other day I would fall in line with his perception, but things had changed; I couldn't stay here any longer than I must.

It was the blood.

Under my nails, soaked into the fabric of my clothes, matted in my hair...it's stench covered every inch of me. The metallic tang made my stomach turn; I could still taste it in my mouth, dripping from my chin. No, staying here wasn't an option for me. And not for Five either, I could see it on his face.

Questions; all of them bad, void of any relieving answers. The same as me.

"How do we get out?" Two was the one who spoke, he knew it was the question we all wanted to ask. The only thing that stopped Five, Three and I was our handlers scorn but he was free of that now. He ignored Eric's cold stare and stepped forward, "Show us the way. Now."

Ripper blinked in amazement, and a smile crossed over his features. Not a nice smile; too curious, he reminded me too much of a cunning fox for me to feel at ease, "Subject Number Two." Was all he said, not a greeting but more of an observation, "Follow us."

"How did he know who you are?" I hissed to Two, who clamped on hand down on my shoulder. Eric gritted his teeth but didn't look at all surprised, "He created you, your DNA sequence. Ripper knows you better than you do." He muttered striding ahead of us, instead of objecting.

"You want us to go with him?" Five demanded incredulously, Ander leaned heavily against him and let out a small scoff, "You think we have another option, kid? Ripper knows he's got us by the ball- throats.." He complained bitterly, a darkness eating away at his usual flamboyant composure.

Zero walked behind Ripper, who walked through the dim corridors as if he owned them. Maybe he did, once upon a time. She kept her sharp-eyed gaze on me, only taking it away every now and then to glance at her surroundings; it made me wonder if Zero had ever been out her cage for this long before.