Mutations: ~ Chapter Seventeen ~

Mutations:

~ Chapter Seventeen ~

Amazement swept through me, rendering me speechless.

I had never seen a hidden base before, so I didn't know what to expect. Part of me played on this joking belief that the escorts had been lying to us, and that there wasn't an actual base, but instead just some kind of mediocre hidden apartment.

This wasn't a hidden apartment. At all.  

What was displayed before my wild-eyed gaze, was in fact, an underground base.

It was even busier than the compound had been. We merged in with the swarm of bodies that moved in a ceaseless buzz of work. Walking so fast that I barely felt the smooth stone ground beneath my feet.

Whoever designed the architecture meant for it to withstand any force of nature. The structure was strong with walls that were either made from layered thick bricks, smooth stone, or half polished steel, that held up the ceilings that were laden with lights.

I wondered how far down we had dropped in those few second's. My eyes traced across the interactive glass screens that were mounted to the walls, obviously being hidden didn't stop their access to newer technology.

Walls glowed with projected images and came to life with highly defined holograms that made you look twice because you couldn't decipher what was real and what was pixels. Expensive. Maybe they had spent all of their income on the technology and that's why it looked like a renovated cave.

Dangerously dark, but with all the needed essentials.

How they managed to balance the temperature until it was just right was mind blowing, there must have been a pretty advanced air stimulation system down here to filter in the fresh air. I could see vents everywhere.

"Now this is what I call a secret base." Five nodded in appreciation, and I could see his dark eyes up close. Huh, they weren't a coffee brown after all- they looked more like a chocolaty brown mixed with hazel, "I'm telling you right now buddy, that this place looks like totally authentic."

My face scrunched up in confusion, who was he talking to? I turned to him but bit my tongue just in time. Five grinned back at Three, whose face remained impassive, and it hit me then.

He couldn't see a single thing that we could. My excitement faded at the realization, it wasn't fair for me to enjoy this when he couldn't. Three's lack of vision didn't seem to visibly affect him but knowing that he was missing out made a twinge of sadness pinch at my chest.

"What's wrong?" Two sounded concerned as he spoke, stepping close to me so that I could speak to him. His blue eyes, like crushed sapphires, glistened under the bright glow of the bare lights that hung over us,

"Nothing." I muttered when the agents started to talk.

I could feel his gaze lingering on me, but blocked everything out. I still couldn't get over how amazing this place was. So, this was where they were planning on training us to be purebred American weapons.

I guess it was as good as any. The men and women milled around with a sense of urgency about their movements, even their eyes glinted with determination, but their faces remained stoic.

No one looked especially eager to share what it was they were up to. Only a few of them even glanced in our direction, some of them huddled together in small groups. Speaking among themselves, and sometimes even laughing.

Two stood beside me with his eyes locking onto everyone who passed us by, before he clicked his jaw and looked away. I wondered if he even noticed all the female attention he was getting.