Mutations: ~ Chapter Thirty One ~

Mutations: 

~ Chapter Thirty One ~  

The air down here was cold to the bone; like even warmth itself wanted to be rid of it.

Something unnerved me to my very soul, and I couldn't help but want to turn and leave at once but it was down here, whatever it was. The small hairs on the nape of my neck rose as I forced myself to move forward.

There was nothing but dark brick walls with bare bulbs against the ceilings, and a long corridor that stretched out ahead of me. It looked barren of any life, even my footsteps echoed as I took them.

Something bitter flooded through the air, and I noticed that here, the scent was thicker than ever. It smelled like a dying person; not in the death sense, but like someone who had given up to a greater force but intent on taking what it was owed.

It smelled pained, and brimming with the need of...justice? I couldn't tell. This scent was more complex than any other I had encountered.

"In here..." The voice spoke clearly in my mind now. Clear and cool...and soft, "I can feel you, sister."

By now I was trembling as I passed through an open doorway in shock, my eyes instantly finding the clear glass wall. Inside was the same grey brick walls but they were covered in... tally marks from white chalk and drawings.

My eyes skipped across the threadbare bed with the made covers, and the bookshelf that had been gathering dust over years, and the set of drawers.

And then there she was.

"I knew it would be you who would find me." She was sitting cross legged on the floor, staring at me intently. Her gaze reminded me of that of an owl; in a curious but all-knowing manner. It was kind of unnerving, "Those morons couldn't even hear me in their sleep, when they're most vulnerable."

Her hair was platinum blonde, almost white, and fell down her front like a smooth silk curtain that shaped her sweetheart shaped face. Her skin olive toned, and her eyes dark with mockery, and something that made my guard rise as I stepped out until I was stood in front of her cage.

"Who are you?" I demanded staring at what she lived in, I wondered if she grew up in there. Her smile pulled back into an almost sad smile.

"You didn't guess by now?" She asked in genuine surprise, I didn't know how to tell if it was exhaustion in her voice, or relief that I had found her.

The girl rose so quickly that I jerked in surprise as she pressed her hands against the glass, and slid down until she was sitting on her knees. Staring at me with a grin so wide that it looked like it hurt.

It didn't feel like it was me she was looking at, but rather something marvellous and angelic. But it was just me, and her eyes were lit up like I was something magnificent.

"I'm your sister, Six!" The girl laughed in disbelief ,and smiled again, "I'm Subject Zero."

I was so shocked by the girl's delusions that I didn't even know what to say, except; "That's not possible, Subject Zero was terminated." I stated without a doubt but the girl shook her head adamantly, "Subject Zero and Subject One are both dead; Zero...I heard a rumor."

"That's what they wanted you to believe!" The girl cried out, grabbing her mass amount of lock's, and turning her back to me, "Look; my coding! I am Subject Zero, and you are my sister, you are mine!"