Mutations: ~ Chapter Thirty Six ~

Mutations:

~ Chapter Thirty Six ~

"What are you doing?"

"Telling you a secret. Move."   

I stepped around Three and into his room, the low growl deep in his chest conveyed how unhappy he felt about it. But I couldn't disagree more; this was my first time in any male's room.

"I smell it again." Three eyed me suspiciously as the door slipped shut behind us. But my gaze was on everything but him, "Tell me."

Three's room was spacious, bigger than mine, but that was probably because he was much bigger than I am. Other than that; everything was the exact same as my room. His bookshelves were stacked with plain, thick books that were covered in small bumps to help him read.

Everything in here was. Everything was voice automated too.

"They lied to us, Three. There's another Splice; one of the females survived." I hurried to say before I could change my mind, or before Zero could, "She's in the restricted area. A basement below the basement; it's Subject Zero, Three."

Maybe it's because I spat it all out so quickly, eager to tell someone else the secret that I have had to harbor for so long. Three stared down at me, his gaze unfocused but swimming with confusion, and understanding all at the same time.

"The monster." He breathed stepping back a little. The shock radiated off him like his very own cologne and I saw the puzzle pieces fall into place, "The one that ate Subject One. I should have known."

Three's gaze hardened but he stayed rooted on his feet and I nodded in confirmation, "They've kept her in isolation her whole life." I explained, feeling grateful when he gestured for me to sit.

I don't know why I wanted to sit on his bed, instead of his desk chair, but that's the spot I chose. Maybe it's because the bed was where his scent was strongest, it was unmade and the comforter was tousled but still comfortable.

"That was stupid of them." Three muttered under his breath, running a hand through his hair, "Let me guess; her social skills are limited. I bet she lacks any sense of empathy, or emotion. They raised her with no socialization. That's not good for anyone."

My heart skipped a beat at how easy it was for Three to be right and I cleared my throat, "She's not so bad." I tried to defend but he was right. Zero didn't care that she had killed before, when I tried to do something I wanted, she stopped me without a second thought.

"She's manipulative." Three snorted leaning against the desk, suddenly looking very focused, "She might be able to hide it from you; but she can't from me. I can tell what her nature is, and there's a logical reason she's not with us. The term 'bad seed' comes to mind."

I didn't know that term but it didn't sound good. My mouth was dry as I shook my head, this was exactly what Zero feared would happen. No, not feared but knew. She knew that this was what Three's reaction would be, did she sense it?

"She wants out." I murmured lifting my gaze to meet his and I inhaled deeply, "And I'm not sure if that's a good idea anymore."

Three reared his head up to stare at me in shock, "You cannot let her out." He boomed louder than necessary and I jumped a little, "You have no idea what her true nature is, Six."

"Be quiet!" I hissed slapping a hand against his chest that he swatted away. Three's gaze was stern and I already knew that his decision was made, "How can you say that? She's one of us!"