Mutations: ~ Chapter Thirty ~

Mutations:  

~ Chapter Thirty ~

So, perhaps so publicly pitting myself against my own kind wasn't my brightest idea, but I still stood for what I believed in.

Everyone now treated me like a ticking time bomb, fated to repeat my past behaviors. All that mattered to me, was that I knew that I wasn't the same person anymore.

And no matter what they whispered behind their fingers, I knew that they were watching the wrong Splice.

I distanced myself from Two, he hadn't tried to approach me since our fight. I couldn't help but lose sleep over it, wondering what horrible tales Veronica was whispering in his ear.

Speaking of the spawn; I hated her with every fiber of my being. I knew that she was behind it all, this was all her fault. Whatever she was planning, I was determined to throw a spanner in the works.

"So, are we going to discuss what happened yesterday, or continue this blissful silence?" Hayden asked in a condescending tone that made my teeth grit. I dragged my gaze away from the door and met her gaze evenly, "Some of the faculty are nervous they might have to put you down again."

My body bristled as my head snapped up her last softly spoken words, "They don't have to do that." I quickly assured her with a pleading gaze, please let her believe that I wasn't that same person. Hayden knew the reason of my attack, "I just didn't like how he tried to...establish dominance over me."

And that he was a lying user, being manipulated by that awful woman.

"I know that, but that show of defiance might not have been your best idea." Hayden shifted closer to me, her expression was stoic as she glanced towards the door and spoke under her breath, only so that I could hear, "These people intend on grooming Two to be the alpha of your pack, to be your leader. Your reluctance to accept him as that...may cause some controversy. You need to play nice."

My mouth went dry at the thought of isolation again. The last time, I was sent there for a whole week and I wasn't allowed to leave that room at all- except to shower. I even had my meals in there, and a small toilet beside a sink.

There was nothing I would love more, than to avoid that ever happening again.

"I can't trust him." I blurted without meaning to and my eyes skipped to the clock, "Eric said that I shouldn't trust Veronica, and he was right. She's up to something, I know she is."

Hayden was looking at me like I was speaking another language. I wondered if Eric had ever said the same to her, either way, it didn't matter now.

A knock on the door caught our attention as it slipped open, and if looks could kill then the man Hayden stared at should be ten feet under, because she was not impressed that we were interrupted.

"Sorry to intrude, Hayden." The man muttered giving me a nervous side glance, "But an emergency meeting has been issued, and your attendance is permitted."

He excused himself shortly after that and Hayden cast me a sidelong glance, "There goes my evening plans." She muttered rising from the couch bitterly and planting a hand on her hip, "This meeting will no doubt be about the action we take from here on forward now that you've shown dominant traits. I heard that all the big guys are circling up for this; for you."

"I'm sorry." I mumbled but felt something trickle through as an idea suddenly blossomed in my head, "Do you...would you mind if I stayed in here for a while? It's nice to be away from everyone."