Mutations: ~ Chapter Thirty Four ~

Mutations:

~ Chapter Thirty Four ~

"None of them trust me." I sighed sprawled across my bed in exhaustion, "What do I do, Zero?"

I don't know where she went; one minute, I could feel Zero in the back of my mind, and the next she was gone. I felt her there most days now, kind of like a mental passenger. I wondered if she knew that I knew she was with me.

A knock on my door pulled me from threading through my thoughts, and I sat up as the door slid open. Three stepped briskly into my room, and inhaled deeply, a scowl carved his defined features and he turned to me with an accusing gleam in his eyes.

"What is it," He began in a tone that left no room to make a comment, "And where did you find it?"

My mouth went dry as I folded my knees beneath me but Three didn't sit. Instead he stood with his back to the door, and his arms folded over his broad chest whilst he waited.

I had no idea of what to say or do, Zero wasn't here to guide me through this.

"Not an 'it', Three." I began slowly, wishing more than ever that Zero was here to help me, "I'm not sure if I'm allowed to tell you..."

For a second there was a tense silence between us, but it was quickly shattered.

Three's head rocked backwards with a roar of dark laughter that made me jump from the sheer volume of it, and my heart skipped a beat as a nervous sweat grew on the palms of my hands.

"Not sure if you're allowed to tell me?" Three repeated with a dark humor dripping from his venom laced tone. He stared me down like he didn't know whether to crash my head against the wall, or force me to spit out my secrets, "It's not like you have many options, Six."

My brow furrowed at that, and a consciousness roused at the back of my mind that didn't belong to me, "What do you mean?" I demanded, feeling more confident knowing that Zero was with me again.

"No one trusts you," Three began in a frustrated tone, "And everyone thinks that you're going crazy."

Anger sparked through me at the knowledge that it was probably Veronica who was adding influence on that last belief.

"Then why are you here?" I asked sharply, feeling my insides twist with the need to crash my fist through something, "Don't you trust me, or am I crazy to you too?"

"You're shady to me." Three stated shamelessly, without breaking eye contact with me. He cocked his head at me incredulously, "You don't think I notice everything going on this place? I might be blind, but hell, I'm more aware than any other moron in this place; even you."

I sniffed doubtfully but didn't disagree with him. Three knew a lot more than he ever liked to let on, "How long have you sensed her?" I demanded knowing he knew what I was referring to. I could feel Zero's unease filter through me, a startling change from her confident demeanor.

'Six, not too much...' Zero hissed through my head in a scolding manner, 'He'll turn you against me, they all will...we need each other.'

Zero and I needed Three too.

Just being in the same room as him had an effect on me, I felt safe. Three screwed up his face at me, "It's a she?" Three blurted with a shake of his head as he tried to piece together a puzzle that was scrambled in his head, "I can't tell what it was- is."

"Well, what do you think you know?" I asked not willing to give away my secrets so easily. Three seemed to understand this, his scowl stayed in place as he stood silently, as stubborn as I was.