The Truth Hurts

*Brent POV*

"Bye!" Andy said, "We'll meet you at the house!"

"Alright! We'll be there soon!" Tree yelled, "Hey, turn the xbox on when y'all get home! I'm gonna beat your ass at Mortal Kombat again, Andy!"

"Haha, sure!" he yelled back, as he and Dave took off.

Tyler had a pretty rad car. It was like a matte black color and it was big enough for like 5 people. Well anyways, Tree and I are riding with him now. I looked out the window and I saw the lights of Dallas and the big dark sky. The colors on the buildings were so perfect and the moon was big. We followed close behind Andy and Dave on the way home but we eventually lost them because of how fast they were going. We didn't care; we were fine. Well... most of us were.

"Hey, you doing okay, bud?" I asked him. He didn't look at me or Tree, he just sat there, focusing on the road. I saw his hands, grasping the wheel harder and harder and he grinded his teeth together. "Helloooo? Earth to Tyler?" Tree said sarcastically.

"Ugh, what is it?" he snapped, letting off pressure on the wheel.

"Whoa, Tyler," I said, "Chill, alright? Look we know something's wrong. Tell us, please."

"No, because then you'll probably tell Dave or Andy or Brandon... You might even tell Lizzy..."

Tree and I looked at each other with confused looks.

"Hey, man your secrets are safe with us," Tree told him, "so just please tell us what's wrong?" I saw him shake like a leaf.. I knew it had to be about Lizzy, but I just kept quiet until he finally spoke to us.

"I...." he began, "I like Lizzy a lot.. I wanted to ask her out tonight but I saw Brandon ask her first... That made me so mad.. She's been there for me through the worst of times and we were just the best of friends... Now, I feel like a total ass for not making a move sooner."

Tree and I looked at each other and sat quietly for a minute or two. I had a feeling Tyler was going to say that... but why didn't I see this coming? Well, this is gonna be painful for him, but Tyler needs to here this.

"Follow Dave," I said, pointing at Dave's car which was exiting off the freeway, "Tyler, it's not Brandon's fault; He was just being nice to her and offered to take her out. He never use to act like this. He was always so shy and quiet all the time. I know this because 2 years ago, he got dumped by his ex who was the first girl he ever fell in love with and she tossed him to the side like he was trash. After that, he shut us out and fell into a deep depression. He hasn't been on any dates or any in relationships since then. Now, I guess he wants to give himself another chance. But don't get mad if he DOES ask Lizzy out."

"Okay, you know what," Tyler shouted at me, "Just because Brandon wants to try again at his little love game doesn't give him the right to take Lizzy away from me! There are other girls besides her!"

"Listen to me," I snapped, "You had your chance and you waited too long. You and Lizzy have known each other for what, like 7 years and you didn't have the guts to ask her out? You're too late, man. I'm not trying to hurt you in any way but this is the sad, sad truth."

"Brent, that's enough, dude," Tree told me firmly, "Just stop talking."

Moments later, I heard sniffles. I could see the tears streaming from Tyler's eyes. He looked like he was about to have a seizure. I put my hand over my forehead, sighing heavily. I knew it was wrong, but it had to be said and done. We got to our mini mansion a few minutes later, and thank god we got there safely. Dave and Andy parked their car on the right side.