Chapter Two

While they waited on their food, Sivon looked over at Vanessa.

"Hey, Vanessa, I have to go to the bathroom," she said, her tone thick with implication.

Vanessa got up, smiling at Sal before she joined her friend.

"What the hell was that about, telling Sal about some girl?! You know... why that's a problem!" Vanessa whispered fiercely as the bathroom door swung behind them.

Sivon shook her head, laughing. "Vanessa, I'm saying this because I'm your friend. You're blind."

"What?"

"I don't get it with you two. He so obviously likes you! How long has it been, like two years? More than that, even! You like him and don't tell him, he likes you and doesn't tell you. You come to me and gush about him every day, he goes to Brian and gushes to him. Not that either of you even have to say anything..." Sivon rolled her eyes, fixing her purple hair in the mirror.

Vanessa's stomach filled with butterflies. "You really think he likes me?" She asked timidly.

"Are you kidding? When you're not around, he talks about you constantly. Not just that, but when he talks about you... You should see it. He gets that look on his face- you know the one where he blushes and smiles really wide but tries to hide it? That one. He talks about you like you're the only girl in the world. And I'm not exaggerating when I say he contemplates telling you at least once a week. 'What if I just told her today?' 'What if I just kissed her next time I saw her?' What if, what if, what if. He's as bad as you are!" She laughed, playfully shoving her friend.

Vanessa's whole face was aglow, partly from the rosy pink blush spreading across her cheeks and partly from the smile she couldn't seem to shrink. "Really?"

"Yeah, really! But you don't know that. I promised him I wouldn't say anything to you."

Vanessa was hardly paying much attention to Sivon anymore. She gestured passively with her hand. "Yeah, yeah, sure. Won't tell." She paused. "He likes me?"

Sivon looked at her friend and chuckled again. "Ask me again, I dare you. Come on, let's go back to the table before they start worrying about us."