Chapter Sixteen

The Gattos, Sivon, and Brian were all there when Sal and Vanessa arrived, and once they all shared their warm, familiar greeting of hugs and compliments, the complaints started rolling.

"Unbelievable,"Joe started. "Casanova makes a whole big deal about being on time and how important this dinner is, and he's ten minutes late."

"Come on, Joey, give poor Murr a break. He's probably still inflating his date," Brian joked.

"Wait a sec, there they are!" Bessy said, pointing to the door.

"Sorry we're late!" James began, giving his friends each a quick hug while his date stood behind him.

"It's okay. So, is this the girl we've heard so much about?" Sal asked, smiling at the pretty brunette.

"Yeah! Everyone, this is Emily. Emily, this is Joe and his wife Bessy, Sal and his girlfriend Vanessa, and Brian and his girlfriend Sivon."James pointed to each person as he said their names.

"Nice to meet you all," Emily greeted, reaching out to shake everyone's hands.

"So you're real, right?" Joe asked when he shook her hand. "Not a robot or a hologram?"

"Or an actress?" Brian added.

Emily laughed. "No, I'm real. Not hired, not fabricated. I'm James's girlfriend, all right."

"Murray, party of eight?" a hostess called from her little podium.

"Let's go. I'm starving," Joe said as he took Bessy's hand and led her towards the smiling waitress.