Chapter Thirteen

The next day, Sivon invited Vanessa over.

"So," Sivon said, scooping yet another massive spoonful of ice cream from her pint of Ben and Jerry's. "Sal sent Brian a selfie last night."

Vanessa giggled. "Seriously? A selfie? Sal?"

"That's what I thought at first! But then he showed me what it was. You two had a good day at the park, I take it?" She playfully nudged her friend's shoulder, smirking.

A blush spread across Vanessa's face. "Oh, shush!" She paused. Her eyes widened. "Wait a second. Which one did he send you?"

Sivon's eyebrows went up so high, they were hidden in her bright purple bangs. "Somebody's defensive! It was a cute one, the one of you kissing his cheek and him smiling... Are there weird ones?"

"No, no, not weird like that! Siv! Gross!" Vanessa laughed. "There were a couple though that were sort of silly, like I put his glasses on in one. Stuff like that. Jeez!"

"I'm just making sure!" Sivon chuckled, putting her hands up.

"Hey, I heard my name. Are you girls gossiping about me in here?" Brian said, appearing in the entrance to the living room.

"You caught me, babe. I'm telling all your secrets." Sivon shook her head, smiling.

"Ah! I knew it! I always knew you'd sell me out!" He walked over and kissed her cheek. "Can I get a bite of that?"

Vanessa giggled as she watched Sivon feed Brian some ice cream, laughing even harder at the bits of vanilla that clung to his beard.

"I didn't mean to interrupt, but I wanted to tell you that I was talking to the guys at work today. You're never gonna believe who's got himself a new girlfriend!" Brian said, scooting his girlfriend over a bit and sitting down next to her on the couch.

"Well," Vanessa thought aloud. "It's obviously not you, because this-" she gestured to the couple- "is anything but new. It's not Sal, because you wouldn't be telling me about myself, and Joe is married..."

"James?" Sivon asked.

"Very good, Sherlock and Watson!" Brian teased. "Yeah, Murray's got a new girlfriend. Apparently they've been dating a little while now, but, as you know with Murr, a while is like two weeks." He rolled his eyes jokingly. "Anyway, he's head over heels. You should see it. He wants us all to meet her at once, and then Joey suggested we make it a big group date, or whatever, so what do you say, babe?"

"I'm game. Sal is gonna ask Vanessa properly though, right?" Sivon asked.

"I'm sure." As the words left his mouth, Vanessa's phone went off.

"You're kidding," Sivon said in disbelief as her friend answered the phone.

"Hello?" Vanessa answered, and Sivon and Brian leaned closer in an attempt to overhear Sal.

"Hey, you," Sal's voice came through the phone.

Vanessa blushed. "What's up?"

"I was just wondering if you'd be interested in letting me show you off to the guys this weekend? Murray wants to introduce us to his girlfriend, and we're all going to dinner."

Brian looked at Sivon and rolled his eyes again, to which Sivon whispered fiercely, but sarcastically, "Would it kill you to be so romantic?"

"I'd love to," Vanessa smiled into her phone.

"Great. I'll see you then. But I'll probably see you before then. I mean, if you want." They could practically hear Sal's hand hit his face.

"Of course I do, Sal. I'll talk to you later, okay? Bye!"

"Bye," Sal said, and Vanessa hung up.

She turned to her friends, only to find them kissing.

"Come on, guys. Really?" she groaned, tapping Sivon's knee.

Sivon blushed as they pulled apart.

"See, I can be romantic!" Brian chuckled, squeezing his girlfriend's shoulder.

"Yeah, yeah, yeah, save it for later!" Vanessa chided.