Chapter Three

The rest of dinner was somehow even more flirty and giggly than before, and now that Vanessa knew Sal felt the same, she was more nervous than ever.

Joe and James were all too eager to make jokes, and the ones they managed to make went, as usual, right over Sal's head. Sivon did, however, shut them down more than once in fear that her slip would be revealed.

---

"So, guys," Sivon said, a wild look in her eye. "Brian and I are going to see a movie this Friday night. Wanna come along?"

James looked excited, but before he could respond, Joe kicked his shin.

"Sorry hon, wish I could, but I'll be with Bessy and the baby all weekend. Murray, didn't you say something about plans Friday?" His big blue eyes grew wide, eyebrows raised as he looked at James.

"Oh, that's right! Totally forgot, I have a dentist appointment, so I can't make it." James rubbed his leg under the table.

"A dentist appointment on a Friday night?" Sal asked incredulously.

"Uh, yeah. Sorry. Looks like it'll just be the four of you seeing the movie, then," James stammered.

"Well, to be fair, we won't really be watching the movie..." Brian teased, looking over to Sivon and winking.

She just laughed. "So, Sal, Vanessa, does that mean you're in?"

"Yeah, definitely," Sal smiled, looking at Vanessa.

Vanessa blushed. "I'll be there, too."

"Oh, but wait a minute! Vanessa, your car is still in the shop! You'll need a ride." Brian's tone was almost comically obvious.

"That's right!" Sivon added. "We'd drive you, but we'll be coming to the theater straight from my doctor's appointment... Hey, what if Sal drove you?"

"It'd be my pleasure," Sal said with a small smile. "What time should we meet you there?"