Chapter Seven

Sal bit his lip worriedly as he pulled up by Vanessa's house. He honked once, then quickly looked in the mirror and adjusted his glasses before she walked outside.

"Hey," she squeaked nervously.

"Whoa," Sal breathed. "You look beautiful."

Vanessa blushed, looking down as she stepped into the car. "You really think so?"

"Of course. Wow."

"Thanks," she smiled.

The drive to the theater wasn't a long one, and neither Sal nor Vanessa said much. Both were trying to keep from exploding; they were so on edge.

When they arrived, Vanessa went to get out of the car, but Sal was already there to open the door for her. He took her hand and helped her down, wishing he could muster up the courage to hold her hand for longer.

"Hey guys!" Sivon said with a smile. "We got here a little early and already bought everyone's tickets."

"Aw, you didn't have to do that," Sal started.

"Don't mention it," Brian insisted. "Sweetheart, you want to me to get you some peppermint patties?" he asked, turning to Sivon.

"You know it! And maybe also a new bottle of water?" she said as she kissed his cheek.

"Sure."

Sal looked at Vanessa, picking up on Brian's hint. "Vanessa, do you want anything?"

"Oh, uh, sure! Just some popcorn please." The smile on her face wasn't doing a very good job of hiding her anticipation.

"No problem," he said as he turned to walk to the candy counter.

As soon as the guys left, Vanessa turned to Sivon.

"Oh my god, Siv, I'm freaking out. He called me beautiful when he came to get me!"

Sivon chuckled. "See, what'd I tell you? You look bangin' in that dress!"

"That's not what I mean!" she whispered. "I think you might actually be right about him liking me!"

"In other news, water is wet." Sivon winked. "I get it, though. You're scared. Just take a deep breath and remember, if he doesn't kiss you, you can kiss him."

"That's what I'm freaking out about! I can't make the first move!" Vanessa ran a hand through her brown hair, twirling the ends with her fingers.

"How about this- if neither of you does it by the end of the movie, I'll suggest we come back to our place and play a nice, old-school game of spin the bottle." Sivon giggled.

"Hey, I'm serious! Oh god, here they come. Act natural." Vanessa nudged her friend's arm with her elbow and smiled as the guys approached them.

"You want to go find our seats?" Sal asked.

"Good idea, Sal. We were just here acting natural, waiting for you to say that," Sivon snickered.