Chapter Twelve

The next three days, Vanessa and Sal were in constant contact. If they weren't talking on the phone, they were texting, and if they weren't texting, it was only because they were on a date.

Sunday was especially sweet, with Sal surprising Vanessa with a walk through the park.

You home? he texted that afternoon.

Yeah, just got home from the drugstore. They only had one bottle of my shampoo left, so I'm pretty stoked. What's up?

Well, how would you like to not be at home?

What?

Knock knock!

She walked up to her door, finding a smiling Sal behind it. Behind his back was a single red rose.

"You remembered how much I love roses," she bubbled.

"How could I forget?" He kissed her softly as she took the rose from his hand.

He soon led her out of the apartment and down to the car. Their short drive to the park was spent holding hands and listening to the radio in a contented haze.

"So, girlfriend," Sal said, loving the way the word rolled off his tongue.

"Yes, boyfriend?" Vanessa giggled.

"Would it be completely absurd to take our first 'couples selfie' today, by the fountain? I know what you're thinking, 'Sal isn't usually one for
selfies!' But I want to take as many photos with you as I possibly can, so that when I'm not with you, I can have some sort of proof this isn't all just some crazy dream." He smiled and pressed his lips together, almost embarrassed.

"I'd love to," she replied, squeezing his hand and leading him to the fountain in the center of the park.